Any news on a new City Stadium?

Subject Area for Decision
Sportcity
CHIEF EXECUTIVE

Key Decision Objective/Consultation arrangements/Point of Contact:
Consideration of future development opportunities at the Sportcity site.
Consultees: Local residents, ward councillors
Contact Officer: Eddie Smith, Chief Executive, New East Manchester Ltd

Anticipated date of decision/Documents to be considered:
May 2010 Report

Decision Taker (Executive or Chief Officer):
Executive

not my fault! said:
We are not moving stadium end of. I can tell you now though that the stadium will be developed and they are looking to start at the end of the current season! I hear 80k but the papers and a few others have heard more like 60k, either way it's getting extended sooner rather than later. Expect the whole area to be developed very quickly, not just the ground.

Having 4k-5k more than MANUre would cheer me up no end. Beginning to forget about last night already!

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
not my fault! said:
We are not moving stadium end of. I can tell you now though that the stadium will be developed and they are looking to start at the end of the current season! I hear 80k but the papers and a few others have heard more like 60k, either way it's getting extended sooner rather than later. Expect the whole area to be developed very quickly, not just the ground.

Having 4k-5k more than MANUre would cheer me up no end. Beginning to forget about last night already!

Sure would mate! I just don't get why are some fans against us increasing the capacity? I fail to see what the detrimental effects will be to our players in having them play their football in the biggest and most splendid stadium in England! The fact that we MIGHT not fill it for some/most games is irrelevant, surely, since it's almost guaranteed that we WILL fill it for some games.

As I see it, a HUGE stadium will reap the following benefits:

1. Increased gate receipts/turnover.
2. Greater Kudos on the club throughout the world.
3. Attract better players
4. Make us the envy of the football world

It's about creating a legacy for the future. Wouldn't it be great to be the generation of fans who were around when Manchester City built the biggest and best stadium in the world? What's there to moan about in that?

JOGAMIGMOG said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:

Sure would mate! I just don't get why are some fans against us increasing the capacity? I fail to see what the detrimental effects will be to our players in having them play their football in the biggest and most splendid stadium in England! The fact that we MIGHT not fill it for some/most games is irrelevant, surely, since it's almost guaranteed that we WILL fill it for some games.

It's about creating a legacy for the future. Wouldn't it be great to be the generation of fans who were around when Manchester City built the biggest and best stadium in the world? What's there to moan about in that?

No offense, but City are struggling to sell out their stadium as it is. Having an 80k stadium with 40,000 people in it would be detrimental in the efforts to overshadow Old Trafford.

If City cannot fill it as it is, there is no need for expansion, especially considering it is an almost brand new stadium.

fulhamroad22 said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:

No offense, but City are struggling to sell out their stadium as it is. Having an 80k stadium with 40,000 people in it would be detrimental in the efforts to overshadow Old Trafford.

If City cannot fill it as it is, there is no need for expansion, especially considering it is an almost brand new stadium.

Sold out virtually every home game this season mate, although i agree 80k is pushing it...

The Fixer said:
fulhamroad22 said:

Sold out virtually every home game this season mate, although i agree 80k is pushing it...

Fair play, then, but I read about there being x amount of tickets left on here like a day or two before the game. I would say 60,000 would be about right for the crowds expected after some serious silverware is won.

Right now, however, it just isn't worth extending in my opinion. I mean as a Chelsea fan, we've sold out every home game this year bar Pompey about a week in advance, and think we need a 50,000 seater but I think we'd struggle. 80,000 would be lavish but embarrassing, and I think we are more or less in the same boat in terms of club size.

fulhamroad22 said:
JOGAMIGMOG said:

Hang about sunshine, we're selling out 47,000 every home game at the moment, and that's for a team lying in 8th. place having won once in the last ten games.

Factor in that we've won nothing for 34 years and I would suggest there is a fair bit of optimism that the crowds would increase should we ever have continuing success... a bit like Chelsea, eh?

Getting crowds of 20,000 (and sometimes a LOT less) only 15 years ago, and the Rags were getting crowds of 36,000 (and sometimes a LOT less) in the early 1990's.

So who's to say we can't do what Chelsea and the Rags have done and attract double our crowds once we get success? If we follow that formula, an 80,000 capacity might not be enough!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.