Any recommendations for a Builder?

Gareth Barry Conlon

We are looking for a builder to take on a refurbishment of our house. It will involve some changes to structural walls and we have the architects plans / calcs for the steels, plastering, full rewire and replumbing etc.

Ideally looking for someone who will quote for the full job although we can quite easily find plasterers, plumbers and sparkies. It's the structural stuff where we are struggling to find builders with any availability.

Any Builders on here interested or can anyone recommend anyone? Location is South Manchester / North Stockport SK4.

Anyone on here know if a good builder to repair a partially collapsed ceiling near Chorlton?

Been away so long my builder has now retired and moved away.

How does a ceiling collapse !

Oh and no.
It seems to be from an old leak from the bathroom above it that was fixed 10 years ago, but the wooden laths have rotted slowly and the plaster came down with no warning.

I‘ve found someone now though, should be fixed by lunchtime tomorrow.

It seems to be from an old leak from the bathroom above it that was fixed 10 years ago, but the wooden laths have rotted slowly and the plaster came down with no warning.

That was the only reason I could think of but assumed it would collapse at the time if the leak.
'Oh hi, 10 years ago I had an insurance policy with you, now I need to make a clai.. hello? hello ? Are you there?

I’m assuming you’re being sarcastic there with that last bit Alan :-D, had the same issue with an old house of mine years ago,
hopefully it’s not the old lime plaster and horse hair stuff, really messy stuff, ended up pulling the whole lot down and boarding and plastering it, took ages :-S.

I’m assuming you’re being sarcastic there with that last bit Alan :-D, had the same issue with an old house of mine years ago,
hopefully it’s not the old lime plaster and horse hair stuff, really messy stuff, ended up pulling the whole lot down and boarding and plastering it, took ages :-S.
I kinda was. It won’t be now as it’s being looked at this afternoon.

I’m hoping it’s an easy-ish job, but time will tell. The joists look good, so am hoping it’s not as you suggest!

I used to watch those homes under the hammer programmes and the people buying houses for renovation always seemed to have great builders. I used to wonder where they found them as it's a real lottery finding any decent tradesmen these days.

I kinda was. It won’t be now as it’s being looked at this afternoon.

I’m hoping it’s an easy-ish job, but time will tell. The joists look good, so am hoping it’s not as you suggest!
I hope so mate, I was relatively inexperienced when I had to do mine, plus , where ever I tried to cut it back, it just crumbled and the odd lath worked loose, hopefully someone with more experience they’ll be ok patching it in, pretty sure your joists will be fine too, mine had had water leaking directly onto them from the bathroom for years prior to me buying it and they were still solid as a rock.
Good luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.