Anybody else had to " Whistleblow" at Work

ifiwasarichfan

I have had cause today to phone up the Health and Safety Executive in Manchester on what I consider an important matter. Anybody else on the Forum had cause to do something similar ?

I am a middle to low ranking Manager of a Major Company ( Household name). A stuation has arisen at a Site of ours in the North West where Senior Management of the Company due to both normal Shift Patterns and Holiday Leave are leaving a Shift of over Twenty staff unsupervised to go about their daily routine and they have used the current economic climate and cost reduction (in other words they are too mean to pay a Manager or Supervisor off another shift any overtime) as their reasons.

Even under normal circumstances in my Industry; Logistics and Distribution, Accidents can happen. Once on this site there was even a vehicle fire as well as the usual suspects of " Slip,trip and Falls" and run of the mill Manual Handling incidents.

If and when the HSE act I will probably come under suspicion as the instigator of events. However I am prepared to face the consequences of my actions. Thanks for reading.

grass

only kidding ffs
if its going to directly affect you then you did right otherwise your being a jobsworth.

i had a prob when something happened at my place of work,i know i could have blown the whistle so to speak but it would not have been beneficial in any way shape or form to me so i didnt.
there will be no thanks or praise only name calling and hatred and abuse coming your way and you may wish you never did it.OR..this will be sorted out and you get a promotion,be called a bumlicker etc etc

I'm not sure if this is of any use, but i've done some research on this:

There's a "Public Interest Disclosure Act" (1998)

The act was set up to protect the "whistleblowee". It basically means if they sack you, discriminate against you or use your whistleblowing against you, then you have a great chance of taking the company to court and getting a very sizable settlement.

For the act to cover you though you need to raise your issues internally first, get proof; email, in wiriting etc.

Once you've gone and raised the matter internally, if the company won't co-operate you then go external with your issue. If you go external first, its harder in court to use the Act against your employers and they'll more often than not get around it.

If i were you i'd raise my issue my boss, then escalate if need be to the CEO or whoever, if they don't give a shit, go external and go hard, make them move. Then, if/when they look to discriminate against you take them to the cleaners; you'll get a big cheque (some guy got best part of £250,000 after being sacked by his IT firm) and i'm sure a few papers might want to cross your palm with silver for your story.

ifiwasarichfan said:
I have had cause today to phone up the Health and Safety Executive in Manchester on what I consider an important matter. Anybody else on the Forum had cause to do something similar ?

I am a middle to low ranking Manager of a Major Company ( Household name). A stuation has arisen at a Site of ours in the North West where Senior Management of the Company due to both normal Shift Patterns and Holiday Leave are leaving a Shift of over Twenty staff unsupervised to go about their daily routine and they have used the current economic climate and cost reduction (in other words they are too mean to pay a Manager or Supervisor off another shift any overtime) as their reasons.

Even under normal circumstances in my Industry; Logistics and Distribution, Accidents can happen. Once on this site there was even a vehicle fire as well as the usual suspects of " Slip,trip and Falls" and run of the mill Manual Handling incidents.

If and when the HSE act I will probably come under suspicion as the instigator of events. However I am prepared to face the consequences of my actions. Thanks for reading.
Not saying its right but why can't grown adults work under their own supervision.

GAZZA said:
ifiwasarichfan said:

Not saying its right but why can't grown adults work under their own supervision.
Because people are idiots.

GAZZA said:
ifiwasarichfan said:

For a couple of reasons really:

1. There are those that will do little or nothing if not supervised
2. There are those who are incapable of doing the jobs asked if unsupervised.

Always found middle managers to be lackys,so do what you do,,,,go run and tell.
p.s. I,m sure a chargehand/teamleader can step up to the plate.

salfordtrueblue said:
Always found middle managers to be lackys,so do what you do,,,,go run and tell.
p.s. I,m sure a chargehand/teamleader can step up to the plate.

Whilst in general this may be true my opinion is a guy who stands up for the safety of others cares about his role and is not a lacky.

That said without knowing what the role I admit I do find it difficult to understand why another level of supervision is required.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.