Anybody played pro or semi-pro on here?

Just the N.W Counties for me and in South Oz. The set up over there was amazing - used to play at the town oval and got paid in beer and smokes. Happy days

haha so to sum up, we're all shit? Trials here trials there, but no one ever actually got THROUGH the trials then?

I played for the Griffin Growlers second team, midfield domino....

I've gone to some Toronto FC training sessions. Nothing serious though. I'm doing formal trials at Montreal Impact and TFC later this winter.

monk1976 said:
haha so to sum up, we're all shit? Trials here trials there, but no one ever actually got THROUGH the trials then?

I played for the Griffin Growlers second team, midfield domino....

I'm still young, I have time

ManCityMVP said:
macmanson said:
I played men's competitive locally in Ottawa, Canada but it wouldn't be pro or even semi-pro level, probably about 6th level in the Canadian soccer pyramind. I mostly devote my time to coaching now but still play in the 7-a-side leagues now.

My son is far better than me and is currently trying out with the Ottawa Fury at the U14 level. They are a semi-pro club playing in the United Soccer Leagues (USL) here in North America. Pretty much the only club in the area that has an Academy style program as you would see in Europe and have some pretty successful (by NA standards) youth teams.

Hey I'm from Ottawa! Going to Carleton now. Nice to see some Canadian City fans haha. Watching the Fury is great, Ive been to a few games. Best of luck to your son.

Good to see that City has a few fans in Canada. I've met a couple other Canadians on here but you're the first one from Ottawa. Do you play soccer yourself? The Carleton Ravens have a pretty good soccer program as they've been provincial champions and national ranked. Thanks for the well wishes to my son, we're heading to a tryout session tonight.<br /><br />-- Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:54 pm --<br /><br />
stockportblue said:
macmanson said:
Cheers LCBlue. I currently coach U14s (doing Futsal this winter here in Canada, we were champions in it at U13) and I was wondering if you could provide some insight into the types of training that you get at that age in the Leeds Academy.

I've been spending a good deal of time going over the principles of play with these boys which focuses on the concepts of 1st, 2nd and 3rd attackers or defenders depending on if you are in possession or not. They seem to struggle a little with the 3rd attacker concept and the idea of 3rd man runs, while the 1st attacker & 2nd attacker concepts (dribble into space, pass and move, combination play, etc) seems to be second nature to them.

It's often very hard to find quality players in these parts because the majority of coaches focus on formation training with the usual 442 kick and rush style play, so their technical ability is usually pretty shit and is probably the reason we as a country suck so bad. :) I've given up on trying to coach my lad through the local clubs for this reason and have him trying out for a local semi-pro club (Ottawa Fury) so that he can play with some lads at his skill level.

I found a way to introduc ethird man running to my under 10s last week.If you havent already read it-try Tony Carrs book-(The famous west ham coach-)-Amongst other good things in the book there is a good section on coaching third man running.

How did you find your U10s responded to it? Do you see it naturally in games or scrimmages or do you still have to coach it alot? My players get it in practice sessions but I guess the in game part of the brain has yet to absorb it fully. I have some stuff by Tony Carr, who I find quite good but don't have his book. He does a serious of short training manuals that I've come across but I haven't heard of his book. Is there a particular title to it?

macmanson said:
LCBblue said:
I'm in the under 14's at Leeds United Academy (live over here) and I've been there since I was 9, which is now 5 years and at the end of this season (fingers crossed combined with hard work) will be the end of my 6th season with them.

Won players' player of the year in U9s and 11s also, which were my proudest moments of my life.

Beginning to get serious now too though with a significant 'cull' at the end of the season with 50% of the squad dropped. Tough times.

Cheers LCBlue. I currently coach U14s (doing Futsal this winter here in Canada, we were champions in it at U13) and I was wondering if you could provide some insight into the types of training that you get at that age in the Leeds Academy.

I've been spending a good deal of time going over the principles of play with these boys which focuses on the concepts of 1st, 2nd and 3rd attackers or defenders depending on if you are in possession or not. They seem to struggle a little with the 3rd attacker concept and the idea of 3rd man runs, while the 1st attacker & 2nd attacker concepts (dribble into space, pass and move, combination play, etc) seems to be second nature to them.

It's often very hard to find quality players in these parts because the majority of coaches focus on formation training with the usual 442 kick and rush style play, so their technical ability is usually pretty shit and is probably the reason we as a country suck so bad. :) I've given up on trying to coach my lad through the local clubs for this reason and have him trying out for a local semi-pro club (Ottawa Fury) so that he can play with some lads at his skill level.

Hi mate.

The standard of coaching is excellent here at Leeds so I'll gladly fill you in; we always start up with a similar warm up, just a small possession game inside a small square marked out with cones, maybe a 3 on 1 possession game with the defender 'in the middle' with a bib. This shows that the ball has to be shifted quickly and on the floor (assuming that's the footballing way, it seems to be as you described it) with the player on the ball with 2 options to pass to. This shows the importance of providing quick angles so that the ball can be moved quicker and less likely to lose possession.

Then we have a 'dynamic stretching' period where we simply wander around the area loosening up, stretching anything that benefits us, hamstrings, quads, calves, back muscles, groins you name it.

Standard session beginning is the above which takes up maybe 20/30 mins. (2 hour training session). Then we'd move into a larger scale possession game with perhaps 5 vs 5 in the middle of a marked out area with a player on each side of the rectangle who is the target man, who you can play bounce passes off etc. The goal usually in that game is to work your way from one side to another as many times as possible, obviously of course, without giving the ball away. One player on either side of the rectangle being 'floaters', mutual players who can give the ball to either team depending on who is in possession of the ball.

NOTE: The above is usually played in say a 20m by 15m area.

Which, with drinks breaks, stopping the play, adding hints or ways to improve the play. E.g - making the play sharper, getting on the half turn, receiving the ball on the back foot and playing, 2 touch, double checking the shoulder before playing and the likes, general coaching tips will take perhaps 30/40 minutes.

That's usually extended onto a bigger pitch with goals at either end with the players at the end of the rectangle joining in the play (note also they would alternate the people on the outside, obviously but forgot to mention, haha). When my age group were younger as soon as the goals were introduced all the nice triangles and passages of play we had done before went out the window and our only goal became to score as quickly as we could, at 100 miles an hour. This doesn't happen anymore which is good, hopefully the same will happen with your lot.

After that a match at the end of the session (usually lasting only 20 mins or so) happens. The coach should pick teams randomly so as not to leave anybody feeling down-hearted.

Good luck for your boy, hope he go's far.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.