Anyone worked in Oman?

If so, thoughts? I have a chance of a few years working there, about 2 hrs drive from Dubai / Abu Dhabi.

Huge 'life decision' for me and the wife/kids, so I wouldn't want to make it without getting a well balanced bluemoon perspective!!!

My mother lived in Muscat for 18 months while her husband worked for Balfour Kirkpatrick electrical consultants. they loved it.

Was there for a few weeks, about 10yrs ago. I enjoyed it, though its not really a tourist hotspot, other than hotels there isn't alot of places for entertainment, the women in our party were also told to keep legs and arms covered when out in public. If I were you chat to the wife's of the people who are out there, presuming your not self employed and working alone. Good luck.

I live in Abu Dhabi and know quote a few people who've lived in Oman.
i came over with mife and kids and it can be stressful moving and settling with family but the same could be said of a move to any other country.
Fro what I've been told, the locals are very friendly, there's a slower pace of life in comparison to the UAE,
some stunning scnery and is a real hub for family camping holidays it seems.
Heard mixed reports on Muscat, not a lively city but it's very safe for families but wouldn't have the glitz of Dubai if that's your thing - I wouldn't care about that.
Another thing worth knowing is there's a city/region in the south of the country where the temperature doesn't get past the high 20's called Salalah which
has lots of beautiful scenerey with rich vegitation and greenery which you might crave due to living surrounded by desert!
You're also in a great spot to exlpore regions/countries near to you. I tend to save every penny but mates have been to Napal, Goa, Petra, Sri Lanka and other such places.

My friend worked there and liked it. Said you need a car to do anything though. And you have to maintain them well too and prepare before you go on any trips because if you break down, you're in the middle of a desert. She mentioned special tyres being needed.

Beautiful country, Muscat is lovely, cracking houses (although you can't buy property) and everyone has amazing cars.

Great beaches for playing football and evening walks, the geology is fantastic.
Certainly a married mans destination rather than a single mans, would be difficult for a single man to find woman as majority wear Nijab and I believe are off limits for People of Christian or other religions.
The locals are incredibly friendly and feels like a very relaxed way of living, my impression was its a very family orientated country.
Lovely place to bring up the family and as far I know there aren't too many internal political, religious tensions at the moment.
I think it would be much easier to integrate if of Islamic religion as the day is focused on prayer with prayer breaks every few hours and prayer rooms in every office. I think it would be lovely place to live

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'm actually amazed by the maturity of the posts up to now!!

Place we'd be is Sohar. We've travelled quite a bit, so not put off by that, more the cultural side of things. Kids are used to a fun/free lifestyle (in a good way...they're not tearaways). Wouldn't want that to change too much.

If so, thoughts? I have a chance of a few years working there, about 2 hrs drive from Dubai / Abu Dhabi.

Huge 'life decision' for me and the wife/kids, so I wouldn't want to make it without getting a well balanced bluemoon perspective!!!

It used to take me around four hours or so to drive from Dubai to Muscat, the speed cameras on the Omani side of the highway were very strict, that was around six years ago now. It is a nice place and yes there isn't much in the way of nightlife outside of the hotels. Muscat is quite a laid back place with a large Western expat community, lots of retired Brits who used to work around the Middle East.

I've never heard of women being told to cover up in Oman, perhaps when you get out of the cities?

Salalah is the capital city of Oman btw, and apparently it does get green during monsoon season but I never went there.

Edit: Just seen your last post, yup, Sohah is a lot closer to Dubai but still on the coast, I was working on a smart city project for Sohah but I don't know if anything ever came of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.