Anzac Day

ob

Remember all those fallen on ANZAC day.

My great uncle Johnnie O’Brien, wounded during heavy fighting in Gallipoli in 1915 and taken to hospital in Malta with bullet wound to hand. He returned to action at Dardanelles were he was wounded a second time from a badly shattered shoulder blade caused by shrapnel. He had to be discharged from the army due to both injuries. Unable to fight he returned to France and helped the war effort by working on the railways.

Remember all those fallen on ANZAC day.

My great uncle Johnnie O’Brien, wounded during heavy fighting in Gallipoli in 1915 and taken to hospital in Malta with bullet wound to hand. He returned to action at Dardanelles were he was wounded a second time from a badly shattered shoulder blade caused by shrapnel. He had to be discharged from the army due to both injuries. Unable to fight he returned to France and helped the war effort by working on the railways.
My great grandfather was blown to bits in the Dardanelles. His supposed grave is in Thessalonia. RIP Alfred Bramhall. Funnily enough, he was a rail worker.

Reactions: ob
Not got any connections, but I remember first seeing Peter Weir’s brilliant film, Gallipoli, when I was about 16 or 17. I found it incredibly moving and it has always stayed with me.

Was in NZ for 3 months in 1992 and hitch hiking my way around the north island. A group of squaddies picked me up for a short journey and on hearing my accent one or 2 of them weren't happy. It was the day before Anzac day and anti British feelings were high.... the leader of the group kind of told the dissenters to back off and I (for maybe the 1st time in my life) kept my mouth shut.
They dropped me off outside the barracks and I hitched another ride soon and was on my way.

Was in NZ for 3 months in 1992 and hitch hiking my way around the north island. A group of squaddies picked me up for a short journey and on hearing my accent one or 2 of them weren't happy. It was the day before Anzac day and anti British feelings were high.... the leader of the group kind of told the dissenters to back off and I (for maybe the 1st time in my life) kept my mouth shut.
They dropped me off outside the barracks and I hitched another ride soon and was on my way.

Met loads of Kiwis and Aussies when I served and all were top blokes, weird that people in 1992 would hate the British for something the Turks did at Gallipoli.

However the closest I have come to your experience was with some South Africans in a bar in Munich who still held a grudge about the bloody Boer war, takes all sorts I suppose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.