Apathy about upcoming England games?

I travelled home and away pretty regularly watching England in the late 90s/early 00s, and always watched the qualifiers and friendlies on TV after that. But my passion for them started to wane after the debacle in South Africa in 2010. It was a steady decline that culminated in me just laughing when Wales scored against us at Euro 2016. At that point, I realised I simply didn't give a shit whether they won or lost; it would have zero impact on my emotions either way. Haven't watched a single minute of any friendlies or qualifiers since.

City's success probably has a lot to do with it. Back when I used to follow England, you never saw rags, dippers, tarquins etc. at the games; the vast majority of supporters were from "smaller", unsuccessful clubs that never won anything and never had any hope of doing so. They used England as a way to watch football abroad and support a team that at least had a slight chance of winning something. Thankfully, I don't need England for either of those things anymore.

Not a chance i will be watching the England team , tired of the media and commentators jizzing over uglyrashford and snipenoselinguard when they win a throw in , then you have that managerial genius the FAyesman making statements like the gurner is the best english defender , we may have made the World Cup finals but we all know it will end in tears when we eventually meet a super power like Iceland , used to be proud of England when we had the likes of gascoigne , lineker , shearer , genuine world class players , now we have f*cking a tool like Linguard , as soon as he signs for Sunderland he wont get a sniff of another cap.
Actually, we've got; Walker, Stones, Delph, Alli, Kane, Dier, Rose, Sterling and Lalana. All those players play in a pressing possession system and there is no reason why that cannot be played by England. The one player they need to unearth is an Erickson/Silva type. The only one I've seen who might be able to vaguely play that role would be Wilshire.

Absolutely no interest whatsoever - won't watch a second of either game. For me it is a nice weekend off from the football - chance to earn some browny points with the Mrs or have a nice day out the kids.

Gives our guys a chance to have a change of scenery for a week or so.

Not cared about England since about 1996 maybe?

I watch the tournaments as it fills the summer,i have half an eye on the internationals to see if any of ours get injured,i will watch these 2 friendlies as they are several of ours in both games

I hadn’t watched England for a long time until the previous international break where we qualified for the World Cup but 2 things immediately struck me that day. First was how utterly desperate the commentators and pundits were for Rashford to be brilliant (he wasn’t), and the second thing was how there were players in the squad who I had not heard of and others I didn’t know which club they played for! Am still not sure whether to be ashamed of that or unsurprised.
I can still vividly recall the internationals from years ago - Mariner scoring at Wembley to send us to Spain 82, Terry Butcher covered in blood, the nil-nil in Rome.... But now the international games seem to have lost their appeal and sense of romance to many. Maybe fans have largely accepted that we really are seriously average as a national team and will never be any more than that.

For the patriotic viewpoint, where's @BlueHammer85 when you need him?

"Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free"

SHUT UP!!!!

England friendly's are boring, just as West Ham friendly's are - come World Cup i'll be right behind England to do well, not on here slagging everyone off bar your own team players.

im an england fan and a city fan, but these friendlies are pointless especially when half the team is out through for various reasons... based on this thread you'd think city fans hated the england national team, but there are plenty of city fans who watch them away and went for years. seems to have changed a bit when we got successful

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.