Applauding opposition goals

I’d like to as I consider myself a sporting gent, but unlike with the rugby and cricket I feel too partisan with football.

I can appreciate skill between two teams if I’m watching as a neutral and enjoy it, but never anyone against City. For those 90 mins or so I despise them and everything connected to the club, fans, manager, everything. Then with most teams that ends with the final whistle, apart from against one club, obviously.

Two big games where not only myself but virtually everyone at Maine Road stood up and applauded, were the Arsenal game which has been mentioned but when that wonderful little player Zola came to town with Chelsea.He really was amazing in that game and he was one of those players similar to our own Merlin, where even opposition fans usually never have any negatives to say about them.

Gianfranco Zola got a standing ovation when he was substituted at Maine Road when he played for Chelski - it was deserved as well. I think he applauded all 4 stands on hs way off in return
Strangely enough I`ve just said the same thing in my post and you are correct Zola did indeed clap all four sides of the ground.A truly wonderful player and not a shed of arrogance in him.

Thierry Henry when we played Arsenal in 05 or 06, he came over to take a corner and the stand all applauded him, he clapped back and I remember his post match interview him bigging us up saying wow, the city fans.

what both father and son did?
That is my understanding. Nicky wanted to watch them and Mike took him on a regular basis.
Nothing wrong with a father doing his duties, but don't kid ourselves that Mike is a dyed in the wool Blue. His original affiliation is most likely to have been with Preston.
At the end of the day, he's a professional City fan... Nowhere to be seen when he wasn't on the payroll.

That is my understanding. Nicky wanted to watch them and Mike took him on a regular basis.
Nothing wrong with a father doing his duties, but don't kid ourselves that Mike is a dyed in the wool Blue. His original affiliation is most likely to have been with Preston.
At the end of the day, he's a professional City fan... Nowhere to be seen when he wasn't on the payroll.

never knew any of this, interesting

I definitely politely applauded Townsend's goal for Palace and Macken's against us away at Preston. I'm sure there will have been one or two others over the years but those two spring to mind. It's a once in a blue moon situation but when it happens it would just feel absurd not to applaud.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.