Apple iPhone and more

You seem to have taken that one personally. I was just wondering what people use them for that actually requires the latest and greatest phone. What is actually pushing the increasing specs? With computers, it's usually gamers and various creatives that constantly need more power. With phones, what are the apps people are using that need such a powerful phone?
TECHNOLOGY. Phone tech is advancing at a quicker rate than most, maybe you're not using your phone for much but there are people out there that are using it for everything from unlocking their car, paying for things in shops, creating high quality digital content to locking and unlocking the front door. If you have an older phone lying around, turn it on and download some of the latest apps, you'll immediately see the difference. OnePlus 7T has enough RAM that you can have multiple apps running in the background at the same time, this is key for the current culture of end users who want everything immediately.
One the Huawei Mate Pro 20 you could beam your phone to a smart TV and actually turn it into desktop mode, where it had icons and even a Windows style button to launch. Connect a keyboard and mouse, launch MS Word for example and you see what you have...

Apple products are not for me.

The whole companies ethos is to get their claws in, and then convince you that you need to upgrade.

In the past they have done this by limiting the power of their phones through software upgrades. They got caught and pretended it was to preserve battery life. It wasn't.

Now they just try and convince people that the piddly little tweak in performance afforded by the latest upgrade is worth spunking a huge wad on. It never is.

Here en Suisse, 1489 CHF for the XI pro max, 256GB - 240 CHF increase from last year's similar model in the X, effectively a 20% increase from 2018. The iPhone 8 similarly spec'd was priced at 949 CHF back in 2017, making it a >30% jump to 2018 - but overall in 2 years the premium handset has gone up in price just under 60%. Madness pricing.

Sales figures in 2018 were 218m worldwide (peaked at over 231m in 2015) devices although sales declined by 5% into 2019 and remains considerably behind Samsung. Curious how this will impacts sales in the coming year but to say it is ambitious is a massive understatement, if not a gamble.

My wife is on the 7 from 2015 and I am on the Xr with both of us pleased but seems like a unsustainable model to continue down this price path

@FCBarca

I agree the pricing of iPhones (and other flagships) has got out of control in the last few years.

I had a iPhone 6 on contract from almost new for only £22 a month back then. I kept it for 2 and a half years in the hope that Apple would release a full screen phone at a decent price. Well it never happened.

So I bought myself a Android flagship, a Samsung Galaxy S9+ for much cheaper than the equivalent iPhone. It was a lovely phone, fast, great camera, gorgeous screen etc. Annoyingly it died but luckily I was able to get my money back.

At that point I wasn't sure what to do. IPhones were out of the question because of price and I was wary of an expensive Android flagship because of my now perceived fragility of them.

So I've just ended up getting a cheap Huawei phone for not much more than £100. Other than the camera and the screen I can honestly say there's not a huge difference between this Mate 20 Lite and the S9. It's easily as fast if not quicker for day to day tasks and the battery life feels about double!

It's amazing how fast the smartphone industry has progressed and for me this Huawei is proof that pretty much all smartphones will be good enough for most people. The flagships are a huge premium for not a lot of extra these days.

Agree wholeheartedly. I like the apple products I do have because they typically work reliably and I have little upkeep needed. Effectively the newer iterations of phones are really down to screen (Minor significance IMHO) and camera (This is more personal). So I wouldn't spend north of 1k on a phone either (Mine is a work phone) but absolutely appreciate some of the camera improvements made over the years considering how much most of use our phones as a camera rather than an actual camera

There's a life on the older handsets too (With Apple) that have nothing to do with it's functionality but the software support that Apple stops providing - currently, my understanding, is that older handsets than iPhone 6 are no longer supported (2014 production). That means effectively that 5 years is often the max you can expect support forcing you to upgrade.

Soon it will be time to leave the apple ecosystem as the reasons to remain seem less compelling

Apple products just don't really represent value for money imo, I get why people like them but I'm definitely pro Android.
Absolutely love my one plus phone
OnePlus are releasing a TV as part of their own product portfolio that will work together seamlessly. Will be interesting to see it on the reveal.

Agree wholeheartedly. I like the apple products I do have because they typically work reliably and I have little upkeep needed. Effectively the newer iterations of phones are really down to screen (Minor significance IMHO) and camera (This is more personal). So I wouldn't spend north of 1k on a phone either (Mine is a work phone) but absolutely appreciate some of the camera improvements made over the years considering how much most of use our phones as a camera rather than an actual camera

There's a life on the older handsets too (With Apple) that have nothing to do with it's functionality but the software support that Apple stops providing - currently, my understanding, is that older handsets than iPhone 6 are no longer supported (2014 production). That means effectively that 5 years is often the max you can expect support forcing you to upgrade.

Soon it will be time to leave the apple ecosystem as the reasons to remain seem less compelling
There just aren't enough competitors, Android and iOS have boxed off the market. Windows has failed, Blackberry has failed as well. Huawei could do something with their HarmonyOS but it will take a lot of time.

Just read Iphone 11 has a pet portrait mode.

That makes any cost worth it.
It might depend on exactly what pet you have though. Sony have had animal eye autofocus on their cameras for a while and they keep doing firmware updates to add to the animals they support.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.