Are City considered a “Modern Great”?

Gorton_Tubster

Team supported
Manchester City
Does anyone else think we are? not just us City fans but the footballing public in general, I am never sure because of the tribalism and the style of media we have hounding us. But:

Stats - We have surpassed many other "greats" stats and have set new records for points, goals, cups, titles. Our players themselves have broken and set new records repeatedly, although they dont get the personal accolades they are probably the most decorated of any generation (Except the CL)

Players - For a generation we have had that spine of Kompany, Silva, Aguero and comparing them to ANY of the great teams and I would argue non others are their better - Keane/Beckham/Rooney or Adams/Viera/Henry or Terry/Lampard/Hazard, maybe someone else has a better comparison but I think Kompany/Silva/Aguero would replace any of the above.

Finances - We have gone from strength to strength as everyone knows, we are undoubtedly the best business model out of all clubs, we're going to overtake United in earnings / revenue soon. Despite the cries of "oil money" our owners have shown how to run a football club and how to turn it into a profitable enterprise, so much so that our success is matched by the amount of attacks on our club from the history clubs media friends.

Media/News - We've created so much news, from Balloteli and his antics to Joe Hatrt and his demise, we've had the Sterling shit (So much reminds me of the Beckham shit), the drama around ffp, Pep joining, we're news generators tbh

Massive matches - We've had plenty, QPR, Spurs CL "Game of the century", slippy-G, that leicester game and Kompany, massive wins against United, FA cup final shock loss, FA cup final record win, we've been creating drama and entertainment on the pitch that no other team has managed to do.

Massive seasons - This year (And the year before last) are a bit boring but inbetween those was THE best season ever, the absolute zenith of PL football, an absolute slogger of a season and hey we won it.

Losers - Every great era defining team has opposition losers and ours has been LFC, They have been like Arsenal to Uniteds success, not quite achieving what they should, but thats because of us.

Man City in the arts - there's been books, history shows, All or Nothing, films.

Also, the measure of any great club - Everyone in the country now knows our anthem Bluemoon

I am sure there are others things that I can think of right now,.

So, given the above are we a modern great (Despite the hate and tribalism) ?

Yes, but you’ll never find any of the usual bitter twats admitting it. Remember the massive Sky Studios graphic at the start of the season of the 6 most successful clubs in English football history. Huge 10 foot high club emblems. Dippers, rags, Arsenal, Chelsea, then Villa with 20 trophies, followed by, erm, Spurs with 17.

17 of course being a higher number than 19.......

There are twats out there who will tell you Teddy Sheringham was better than Aguero. I have watched Kelly Cates(Daglish) ask Carragher, Souness and Jamie Redknapp if the dippers are the greatest PL team ever in February. We will never get the credit we deserve yet our domestic achievements are better than anything that has ever come before. Fact.

There are twats out there who will tell you Teddy Sheringham was better than Aguero. I have watched Kelly Cates(Daglish) ask Carragher, Souness and Jamie Redknapp if the dippers are the greatest PL team ever in February. We will never get the credit we deserve yet our domestic achievements are better than anything that has ever come before. Fact.
You can’t blame Kelly, 25 years from now Sienna Kompany might be asking the same question for city to her dad!

The Rag/Dipper love-in will never end , we have been the best club in the Premier league for a decade , we have come from hoping to qualify for the Champs league to being dead certs , we hoover up cups for fun , we have the best owners , manager and squad in europe, but its not good for media revenues to give us praise , negativity about our club no matter how untrue generates the clicks from the 'istree clubs twisted internet warrior fans.
We could solve world peace , and some f*cker in the media would find a negative , f*ck 'em all , we know we are watching the best football club in europe every week and the Dippers might have a couple of more good seasons under Klopp and even when Pep leaves only the best in the world will replace him , what a time to be a Blue , cherish it.

Does anyone else think we are? not just us City fans but the footballing public in general, I am never sure because of the tribalism and the style of media we have hounding us. But:

Stats - We have surpassed many other "greats" stats and have set new records for points, goals, cups, titles. Our players themselves have broken and set new records repeatedly, although they dont get the personal accolades they are probably the most decorated of any generation (Except the CL)

Players - For a generation we have had that spine of Kompany, Silva, Aguero and comparing them to ANY of the great teams and I would argue non others are their better - Keane/Beckham/Rooney or Adams/Viera/Henry or Terry/Lampard/Hazard, maybe someone else has a better comparison but I think Kompany/Silva/Aguero would replace any of the above.

Finances - We have gone from strength to strength as everyone knows, we are undoubtedly the best business model out of all clubs, we're going to overtake United in earnings / revenue soon. Despite the cries of "oil money" our owners have shown how to run a football club and how to turn it into a profitable enterprise, so much so that our success is matched by the amount of attacks on our club from the history clubs media friends.

Media/News - We've created so much news, from Balloteli and his antics to Joe Hatrt and his demise, we've had the Sterling shit (So much reminds me of the Beckham shit), the drama around ffp, Pep joining, we're news generators tbh

Massive matches - We've had plenty, QPR, Spurs CL "Game of the century", slippy-G, that leicester game and Kompany, massive wins against United, FA cup final shock loss, FA cup final record win, we've been creating drama and entertainment on the pitch that no other team has managed to do.

Massive seasons - This year (And the year before last) are a bit boring but inbetween those was THE best season ever, the absolute zenith of PL football, an absolute slogger of a season and hey we won it.

Losers - Every great era defining team has opposition losers and ours has been LFC, They have been like Arsenal to Uniteds success, not quite achieving what they should, but thats because of us.

Man City in the arts - there's been books, history shows, All or Nothing, films.

Also, the measure of any great club - Everyone in the country now knows our anthem Bluemoon

I am sure there are others things that I can think of right now,.

So, given the above are we a modern great (Despite the hate and tribalism) ?
Good analysis. Accurate comparison regarding LFC and Arsenal in the well named losers section.

We certainly are a modern great, defending the title last year rubber stamped it in the eyes of many neutrals.

The one thing I’d add is how well liked our players are by neutrals compared to the other great teams of the modern era. All our key players - Vin, Kun, Dave, Yaya, Kev and many of the others are just normal down to earth likeable chaps. At Chelsea you had the odious Terry and to a lesser extent Costa, the rags had half a team of proper cvnts and Arsenal’s top stars had a dislikable arrogance about them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.