Are Messi and Ronaldo "head ans shoulder's above the rest?

In a word, yes. But they are players with very different abilities. The way I see it is:

Messi - As we only have yet to see him in a Barcelona shirt, it is naive to think that he is only a 'team player' whereby he only plays well if the team do. Very gifted technically, glides past players with agility and balance while offering brilliant passing movements on and off the ball.

Ronaldo - Stark difference in that he is most certainly an individual player. A complete all round player and much more so than Messi as he can Head, Shoot from distance, Take corners/free kicks/penalties etc. Great technically although he doesnt dance around players to Messi's extent and uses power and pace instead.

If it was a decision between them both, it would be Ronaldo. Complete all round player from my perspective and although may woman and dive etc.. Slightly edges.

Messi is the best player of this generation. And if Argentina wins the next WC like I believe they will, he will be the 2rd best player to ever play the game behind Pele, and ahead of Maradona. That is how good he is.

Ronaldo will not win the WC. Portugal isn't talented enough. But he should make the top 10 by hte end of his career.

And yes, they are both heads and shoulders above the rest. But Messi is discernibly better.

Dax777 said:
Messi is the best player of this generation. And if Argentina wins the next WC like I believe they will, he will be the 2rd best player to ever play the game behind Pele, and ahead of Maradona. That is how good he is.

Ronaldo will not win the WC. Portugal isn't talented enough. But he should make the top 10 by hte end of his career.

And yes, they are both heads and shoulders above the rest. But Messi is discernibly better.

Portugal wont win WC? They have a good chance. They got players like pepe, Ronaldo, Meireles...good squad.

With young players like Coentrao coming. Portugal are on the up.

And you can't say that Argetina will win the WC. It's nothing certain and i personally dont think they will. Not in the next 1-2. But of course they have a good chance too.

Ronaldo is certainly a player to be remembered for his handsome look aswell as skills. You gotta remember that they are completely different kind of players.

And the fact that Ronaldo lived in poor conditions when he was young and moved to Sportings academy when he was 12? His family strugled with money.

Messi on the other hand moved to barca as 12 also i think...and barca gave him everything and he had it good there. They even paid his hormone treatment and medical bills.

Ronaldo has come from a little bit poorer conditions to become what he is now.

Thats something i admire in him. But you wouldn't believe it now, would you? :D

But Messis so similiar to Maradona...so he will probly be known as the all time best in the world ..he will probly be even more rated than Pele.

LOL Messi is NOT better than R9 was at his prime the game has changed and its much easier now to score 40 plus goals than it was in the 90s. Football fans we need to learn our history and now just make rash statements. Ronaldo was the best striker of a generation PERIOD!. He is/was probably better than Pele and Maradona.

Sabster said:
DalbeyINUK said:
Messi,

Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta

Everybody else. That's how it looks to me anyway. And to the guy who said put them on Stoke and they wouldn't do much that's just ridiculous. Messi would succeed anywhere he played. You don't have his craft, vision and skill and not succeed even if people are kicking the crap out of you constantly(which they already do). What we'd end up seeing is him lifting the average players of stoke and making them look much better then they are.

There's two real differences between Messi and Ronaldo to me that lift Messi above. One is that Messi makes people around him better. Two is that Messi is better on the ball in traffic. He sees ways to get through packs of defenders that no one else does.

Like he did for Argentina?

In a long ball team like Blackburn Ronaldo would be performing close to his top level, Messi nowhere near.

Did you watch any of Argentina's games at the world cup or are you just blindly following statistics?

He was man of the match every game they played except against Germany and had about 7 assists and the only reason he didn't score was down to some exceptional goalkeeping. Nigerian keeper played the game of his life against Messi and he also ran riot against Greece and Mexico.

didactic said:
LOL Messi is NOT better than R9 was at his prime the game has changed and its
Actually he is. R9 was a goalscoring machine. Messi is a footballing machine who scores at the rate of a goalscoring machine.

much easier now to score 40 plus goals than it was in the 90s.
No it isn't. People are not scoring 40 for fun nowadays. The goalscoring in Europe has been constant Since the mid 70s. Especially with teams in the Major leagues. And that hasn't change from the 90's to now. Mata fact the Early 2000's saw a bit of a drought, before Ronaldo and Messi perked it back up. It is the Players (not the difficulty of the game) that has changed.

Football fans we need to learn our history and now just make rash statements. Ronaldo was the best striker of a generation PERIOD!. He is/was probably better than Pele and Maradona.
Cleary you have ignored your advice in red. Ronaldo is not "CERTAINLY NOT" as good as Pele. No one is. The man stands all alone by himself. On a perch with a belt that reads; "Greatest Of All Time" But if you are as far away from him as R9 is, all you see is G.O.A.T..

That said, no one is arguing with you that R9 was the best striker (I'd even say best PLAYER of his generation) he was. But that was from the last Generation- This Generation belongs to Messi, and he is better than Ronaldo! And should be better than Maradona before it is all said and dusted.

As for being better than Pele, lets hold off on that for now. But simple projections suggests it is unlikely he will eclipse the GOAT. But there is a chance he'd be able to read what it says on the belt :P

WNRH said:
Put Messi in Stoke's team or Ronaldo in Blackburn's and they won't be performing like they are now. They are two superb footballers who benefit from playing with Xavi, Iniesta, Ozil ect

although its true that playing with those players helps messi's game, I remember maradonna going into a rather poor Napoli team and not doing too bad lol, and Messi is as good as Maradonna imho and still improving

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.