Are there less frogs than there used to be?

Created a pond in the garden at Easter and been letting it settle naturally

Today I noticed movement. There are a group of something, black in colour and only a few mm in size which swim about around a potted plant. I have googled and can’t find what they are.

Anyone have any idea what they maybe ?
Ergh tadpoles ? They are late this year because of the strange weather

Created a pond in the garden at Easter and been letting it settle naturally

Today I noticed movement. There are a group of something, black in colour and only a few mm in size which swim about around a potted plant. I have googled and can’t find what they are.

Anyone have any idea what they maybe ?

If you can take a pic and post it on here it would be easier to identify lm quite a few types of pond critters.

image3.jpg

Loads of frogs, toads and I've got dozens of newts in my pond but no frog spawn...I heard frogs and newts dont get on.... I suppose its where you live and what natural features you have near by, we're surrounded by rivers and forests. Having said that I rent part of an old bus depot and around about july and onwards there are hundreds of baby toads inside the place.
We used to live on the border of Brooklands and Timperley and late february hundred of randy frogs would cross our road to get to a pond in the wood, quite a sight...I presume they still do it.

Who wins the fight?

If you can take a pic and post it on here it would be easier to identify lm quite a few types of pond critters.

image3.jpg
Struggling with the sunlight reflection to get a decent photo of them right now.

Size wise they are about 3-4mm in length and stay close to the surface. More like fish fry but got no fish ! Do newts start off very tiny without legs ?

Most probably, there's less of everything nowadays. Birds, bees, you name it. It's rare we see a Buzzard or other bird of prey around here anymore. There's even less beans in a can of beans now, although that might not be related.
I drive all over the UK with my job and I see loads of buzzards all over. They are definitely thriving. Also loads of Red Kites down the M40 but there are far less Kestrels than say 20 years ago. Having said that, I've seen a couple this week.

Struggling with the sunlight reflection to get a decent photo of them right now.

Size wise they are about 3-4mm in length and stay close to the surface. More like fish fry but got no fish ! Do newts start off very tiny without legs ?

Think it's common to all amphibians.

Couldn't find one of newts.

Depending on your interest, might be worth looking for a decent book on pond wildlife with photos or diagrams. Should be able to pick up 2nd hand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.