Are Villa a top 4 threat if they keep Grealish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll be around there.

I'm pretty amazed by 4 pages of people saying "No way, impossible, you idiot" etc. when they were in hovering around West Ham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs all season up to the Grealish injury.

I'll put that down to massive dislike of Villa fans clouding opinions.

They've got a good young squad which they're adding to, a good manager, and their slump at the end of the season because of several big injuries means they don't have to deal with Europe.

With or without Grealish they'll quite likely be competing with the rest for 4th place.
If you consider we are ever present that’s one spot gone. Liverpool who still finished in it last year will improve and chelsea you’d be far pushed to say won’t be in it. So that’s 3 spots without even acknowledging united finishing in it the last two years whilst probably improving with transfers. That’s then without considering arsenal and spurs improving along with Leicester who have been there or there abouts the last two years. Top 4 is near on impossible I’d say unless any of the clubs above implode. West Ham won’t be near it either, great season but that’s their peak.

They do have a very promising side but no not good enough for top 4 just yet. Like the look of Watkins, Cash, Martinez, McGinn, Mings is solid and of course Grealish. Haven't heard too much about this new player but coming from Norwich I'm sure he's a tidy player. Could challenge top 6 with that side. Be interesting to see if Grealish wants to stay and see where this Villa team goes.

P
Grealish is immense, they've got in Watkins one of the best young strikers in the league, great on and off the ball and now they've signed another top top player in Buendia who I rate as being Mason Mount level. They've also got the best goalie in the league!

What do you think?
I think Doug Ellis is still alive and starting threads on this forum, you must be pushing nearly 100 years old now mate!…:)

Who knows? - they might be a top 4 contender.

On the other hand, in the past 20 years or so, the top 4 teams have almost always been from among City/United/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs/Liverpool - only twice - I think - has an exception occurred - both times from Leicester.

So Villa a top 4 threat - their top 11 best starting side might contend - but due to lack of squad depth - no way. Their best 11 cannot possibly start every P/L game save by pure chance. And beyond their top 11 - lack of squad depth will take its toll.

Last edited:
I think next season is going to be another weird one, we've pretty much had a year and a half of constant premier league football, then straight in to the Euros, as soon as the Euros finish the Premier League starts again and there's a World Cup mid-season for the first time ever.
The majority of players at the top clubs will have played nearly three years of constant football with no breaks and the teams with a lot of international players won't have had a pre-season for two years now.
If an 'outsider' team is going to crash the top four then next year will be the kne they're most likely to.
Will it be Villa? Possibly but they don't seem the likeliest of candidates. They've got a good team so somewhere in the top 8 isn't out of the question. Grealish isn't the player he's made out to be though so if they do make top 4 it will be more likely down to them being organised and working hard as a team. Although, Liverpool and Leicester have both shown that a decent team with press backing and a team ethic of falling over theatrically can push teams up the table so who knows, with the combination of VAR, a favourable press and Grealish's cheating anything could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.