Are Virgin trains taking the mickey?

berryblue

On the day we play WHU (Feb 1st 19:45) the only train that could get you back to Manchester is the 23:00 from Euston. The cheapest fare to come up for this train started at £72 whilst the days before and after it is £22 for the 23:00. What is their thinking? I have traveled on the same time train a few times and what gets me is it's almost ALWAYS EMPTY!!!

On the day we play WHU (Feb 1st 19:45) the only train that could get you back to Manchester is the 23:00 from Euston. The cheapest fare to come up for this train started at £72 whilst the days before and after it is £22 for the 23:00. What is their thinking? I have traveled on the same time train a few times and what gets me is it's almost ALWAYS EMPTY!!!

It's called "yield management" and is what all transport and hotel businesses do to manage demand and maximise revenue by charging "what the market can bear".

It's called "yield management" and is what all transport and hotel businesses do to manage demand and maximise revenue by charging "what the market can bear".
I honestly had no idea the train companies did it as well. I thought they just had constant flat rates for on-peak and off-peak. It's a proper pisstake that they've started doing it now.

I honestly had no idea the train companies did it as well. I thought they just had constant flat rates for on-peak and off-peak. It's a proper pisstake that they've started doing it now.

Special attention is made for Rags and Dippers home games given their large south east based fan base. Have a look at prices on the date of the next home match at The Swamp !!!

Why can't the club put on specil trains like they do for night games in Manchester from London ?? They are quick to offer it to London Based fans so why not the other way round ?

Same as the increase in price for football fans travelling by plane around Europe. Fancy going to Germany for a midweek trip?...£35 flight...Fancy going to Germany to watch your team in the CL on the same night a week later...£125 flight!

I think the FSF and the Premier League should stick up for us in this, football fans are getting shafted in every possible way from every possible angle these days.

Clubs should organise transport for fans for every game anyway. Even teams down in the bottom half have more than enough money to put on trains and coaches for all of their away fans for every single away game. Why aren't they?

Yes virgin are...I live in Aberdeen and im telling you not once could I travel since they offered the service cheaper than what's called split ticketing. .
As in Martin Lewis financial guy on tv highlighted couple of weeks ago.
I do train, national express and megabus
I'm a s/c holder. I can't afford flying and it suits me not.
Ex
National Express 12.30 Abdn to Preston £57
Book same bus but only Abdn to Glasgow £5
Stay on same bus Glasgow south £8 ticket to Preston.
Bf £2
Trains are the same

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.