Are we clearly suffering from a lack of striker this season? Have midtable sides figured us out?

Yeh, good post. The lack of pace and energy across that midfield is a real burning issue when it comes to circumventing parked buses. Moving the ball quicker would help, but when a ’bus’ is as narrow and deep as Palace’s was yesterday, then the ability to fashion half a yard and the strength to hold opponents at bay, might also be useful.
I know they didn’t all play yesterday, but there’s a lack of genuine variety when it comes to particular attributes. Rodri, no change of gear. Fernandinho, 36 years old and no change of gear. Gundogan, 31 years old and no change of gear. Bernie (in great form, but….) no change of gear. Mahrez, 31 years old, built like a twiglet, no change of gear. Kev, 30 years old and (due to current lack of fitness….) no change of gear. Grealish (pretty lively yesterday, but….) no change of gear. Palmer (and please understand I’m not knocking the lad in any way - I’m just highlighting a squad issue), no change of gear.
The only players with the pace to test the opposition and to require them to double up and leave gaps elsewhere, are Foden and Sterling, and one of those has control issues that render him a waste of time on days like yesterday.
From the moment Palace scored, 5 minutes in, everyone in the ground knew the game was gone. 10 men or not, I think the last time we came from behind at half time to win was 4 years ago at Huddersfield. We didn’t lack resolve yesterday, in fact I thought the players gave it a decent go after the break, but physicality, pace, movement, we just don’t have it, which is why we are so easy to frustrate. Move the ball sideways multiple times, fail to work an overload, cut in and either float over a cross to no-one or scuff a shot into a forest of legs, and rinse and repeat.
Lack of a centre forward is an undeniable issue as we all knew it would be, but I agree those midfield runners you refer to are the bigger problem
Massive overreaction. We're suddenly flawed because we're one-paced?

We made some bad mistakes defensively yesterday and went down to 10 men hence we lost. There are offensive problems. Sterling is out of form (because he's not playing), KDB is not fit, and Grealish has been ineffective so far.

I don't our basic speed has got anything to do with these issues.

Massive overreaction. We're suddenly flawed because we're one-paced?

We made some bad mistakes defensively yesterday and went down to 10 men hence we lost. There are offensive problems. Sterling is out of form (because he's not playing), KDB is not fit, and Grealish has been ineffective so far.

I don't our basic speed has got anything to do with these issues.
There’s no ‘suddenly’ flawed about it and it’s hardly controversial to suggest that our midfield lacks power and pace, because, QED, it does, or that that lack of pace and power might be a contributory factor when up against a block as low and narrow as Palace’s yesterday. That’s not the first time this season that we’ve scored ‘nil’, nor the first time we’ve barely looked like scoring. And we certainly didn’t lose because we went down to 10 men. IMO we played better after Laporte went off!

It isn’t difficult to “figure out” City. Our game is known by everyone in the world. What’s difficult is actually doing anything about it.

We were shocking in the first half and got a red card. Shit happens. That’s the story of this game and there’s no need to dramatise it any further. We will be fine.

We do have a striker but he gets played out on the right wing. We need to give Jesus a run up front. If Sterling or Mahrez had solid form hell I will even add Grealish to that list we would be playing Jesus up there now. There's a load of this squad not doing it yet. A bit like last season then they kicked on. Can anyone remember a season were we didn't get beaten at home?? We have a great squad a striker short but it's still a great squad to win every home game. I be interested in how we come back from this playing the rags next week time to stand up and be counted.
Crazy to think 1 of our best performers Bernardo wanted out as lack of game time look at him now he's our first pick he's so important to the team. We need more of that from all.

Thoughts on Jack since his arrival?
Won't get too deep into that here as it might come across as pinning it on him which I'm definitely not doing, plus if you don't have anything but overwhelming praise for him you get jumped on. I'll simply say I didn't see what he brought to the side that we didn't already have in abundance when links first appeared, haven't seen anything from him so far to change that thought. Plenty of time for that to change.

We could def do with a striker but what if he gets injured for months , we'll be back to where we are now.
All our attacking players need to get better at finishing the chances we create. Foden, Grealish , Mahrez , Sterling all have to get better at finishing, Jesus is decent. Palmer needs to start more , he seems to have goals in him.

It is not about strikers, it is good finishers and the team has had shooting coached out of them. Liverpool play 3 up front, not really classic centre/inside forwards but all can finish and will shoot instinctively, make the necessary runs etc.

Yesterday we had a forward line of 4 and only Rodri and Cancello were shooting in the first half.

Won't get too deep into that here as it might come across as pinning it on him which I'm definitely not doing, plus if you don't have anything but overwhelming praise for him you get jumped on. I'll simply say I didn't see what he brought to the side that we didn't already have in abundance when links first appeared, haven't seen anything from him so far to change that thought. Plenty of time for that to change.
no one should say Jack has been great as that is just not the case. but at the same time no one should shit on him for not being great till now, as that fault squarely lies on pep for not finding him the right role.

if you read some of the article before Jack's transfer you know exactly why he was brought. There were numerous reports saying he was bought to replace bernardo and phase out gundo. he was clearly bought to keep hold of the ball in the middle and carry the ball form center.

It is not about strikers, it is good finishers and the team has had shooting coached out of them. Liverpool play 3 up front, not really classic centre/inside forwards but all can finish and will shoot instinctively, make the necessary runs etc.

Yesterday we had a forward line of 4 and only Rodri and Cancello were shooting in the first half.
but shooting is not something that can be improved massively with coaching look at sterling. some people like aguero is born with it. what happened was we stopped buying that kind of players instead buying passers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.