Are you a rock snob?

“Poodle rock” lol. Wounded by Guns ‘n’ Roses, except they were drunken buffoons, then killed by Nirvana using weapons built by The Pixies.

To me, rock snobbery begins with a distaste for prog rock along with unrestrained displays of musical show-off-ery, pompous lyrics not out of place in a Dungeons and Dragons game (with apologies to certain Zeppelin songs) and rampant misogyny. A lot of Poodle Rock meets this last criteria; a lot of King Crimson, Rush, ELP and Yes meets the first and/or second criteria.

Rock snobbery also requires an affinity for at least a few of the following bands: Velvet Underground, MC5, New York Dolls, The Ramones, early Talking Heads and Television. It’s fine to like if not outright love the Sex Pistols, Wire and The Clash as long, says the snob, as you admit they all owe a debt to The Ramones.

Also, you are required to think The Beach Boys “Pet Sounds” revolutionized music as much as if not more than Sgt Pepper.

I like either some or all of the music by all of these bands. However, I am probably a snob simply because I think I know what snobs would like and not like.

I am probably not a modern day snob in that I detest Radiohead so much that I would chase the band members off my property with a shotgun if they showed up (and I owned one). I do like Sonic Youth however.

I have loads of poodle rock in my collection and couldn't care less what anyone thinks about that. I've got one Smiths album - a best of, although I think that a misnomer but it does have one great track on it.

I have loads of poodle rock in my collection and couldn't care less what anyone thinks about that. I've got one Smiths album - a best of, although I think that a misnomer but it does have one great track on it.

And while I don’t have a lot of full records, I have bits and pieces and enjoyed much of it at the time — The Scorpions, Night Ranger, Triumph, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, etc. I do like the Smiths very much too but never quite the way so many Mancunians do. I always thought Morrissey’s lyrics were terrific and funny, and they wrote plenty of good tunes. “Stop” was always my fave.

And while I don’t have a lot of full records, I have bits and pieces and enjoyed much of it at the time — The Scorpions, Night Ranger, Triumph, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, etc. I do like the Smiths very much too but never quite the way so many Mancunians do. I always thought Morrissey’s lyrics were terrific and funny, and they wrote plenty of good tunes. “Stop” was always my fave.

Problem with the Smiths is that I don't like Morrissey's voice very much.

Most of us wished he had

I like a bit of everything, each to their own. I grew up in the seventies with Heavy rock, prog rock, disco, the carpenters, sweet American soul groups, always loved Nat King Cole., glam rock. If it sounds good embrace it.

I’m really into alternative and underground music but don’t mind that the masses listen to what’s forced on them. If they like it and enjoy it, then that’s up to them.

The mainstream music industry has really shunned alternative music in the last decade or so. Even normal indie, alt-rock and singer-songwriters that would have been chart hits in the ’80s and ’90s aren’t on commercial radio stations or music TV channels anymore.

Years ago, late night MTV used to play alternative music and VH2 used to play it all day. MTV doesn’t play music anymore (when MTV literally stands for “Music Television”), and VH2 doesn’t even exist anymore.

Ever remember The Rev years back? With Mike Coogan and Mani (and many others) having their own shows and playing whatever they wanted? It was taken over by a commercial company and just became yet another station that plays 25 pop songs on a loop all day.

Even rock radio stations that are not independent do the same thing, depending on which record companies have control over what they play. Radio X and XFM can play some decent tracks at times, but they still play that wank Muse tune “Starlight” or “Chelsea Dagger” by the Fratellis six times a day.

This makes being exposed to good music harder, but also makes the hunt for it quite fun. Listening to Radio 6, searching through YouTube and Soundcloud for tracks, and searching online for platforms that play decent stuff takes up hours upon hours of my week. It’s one of my favourite hobbies.

I’m a music snob when it comes to what I like but I don’t look down on people who like stuff I find a load of old shite. Mainly because it’s not most peoples’ fault that they don’t know about good music. Young people today could go through their whole lives without being exposed to decent music.

It’s up to us to educate them on that!

But it is out there. New music is as good as ever, you just have to work hard to find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with the Smiths is that I don't like Morrissey's voice very much.

And I get this. But I love Rush, and Geddy Lee can’t sing, and I love Superchunk, and Mac can’t sing, and Johnny Lydon snarls rather than sings with the Pistols and PiL, and I love Sleater-Kinney, and their voices have been compared to a flock of blackbirds being garroted by Mafia underbosses. So voice has never been a dealbreaker if the tune is right enough, or the lyrics mean something.

And I get this. But I love Rush, and Geddy Lee can’t sing, and I love Superchunk, and Mac can’t sing, and Johnny Lydon snarls rather than sings with the Pistols and PiL, and I love Sleater-Kinney, and their voices have been compared to a flock of blackbirds being garroted by Mafia underbosses. So voice has never been a dealbreaker if the tune is right enough, or the lyrics mean something.

I'm not having that Geddy can't sing. I love his vocals but can see why some would not. Anyway, they are one of my top 5 bands.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.