Arm v painful after lifting in the gym 6 weeks on.

So many things to go wrong with arms and shoulders and probably best to see a practitioner.

Coming back from our jollies I lifted a 10k case outstretched one handed into the overhead locker and knew I had over committed. Next day and for the following three weeks I couldn't even hold a pot of tea or raise my arm without intense pain. Decided on week four to see a GP and was sent to little Burnley for an MRI.

Still waiting on the results but it has eased although I still can't move it behind my back or elevate it.

According to Google I have damaged my rotary cuff. Hope your arm elbow shoulder conditions ease up OP

it could potentially be tennis elbow or tendonitis (as above poster mentioned). I'm a regular gym go-er and been a few times in recent months where i've woken up with the pain in the elbow joint and been unable to fully flex or lift anything heavy with that arm for a few days.

Voltarol and specifically ibuprofen seem to have sorted it.

Yes. I lift weights at the age of 52. I've had maybe 3 similar injuries and at my age they take 3-6 months to heal. I'm not expert but I've basically found physio and doctors to be a waste of time and money and time to be the only healer. Give it a few weeks to ease and then change your exercises so you don't isolate the damaged muscle.

This is strictly an amateur opinion based on experience.
Probably why I need a PT each week but on top of the gym itself I could't afford to to that. But they'd have the experience to know when I'm lifting too much/incorrectly on the that trajectory.

In fact, now I come to think of it the pain feels exactly like the pain you get when you twang your funny bone, expect this is prolonged over weeks rather than over in minutes.
Could indeed be an age thing (I'm 49) but other than that I'm fitter than I've ever been (especially now the long Covid is all but shifted).

Hi folks.
Does anyone have any experience with injuries lifting (specifically bicep curls)?
I jumped up a weight over 6 weeks ago but probably went a little too far too quickly (from dumbbells to barbells).

Feels like a tendon has been damaged and I'd been unable to even loft my arm without pain for a while. There's an area around the elbow which is very sensitive too (if I knock it, that too is really painful). Slowly recovering but nowhere near getting back into the gym (at least for weights - I'm still doing running, yoga, pilates etc).
I feel like a trip to the GP would ultimately take far too long to get an answer (and that's if I even get an appointment). Physio is an option but won't be cheap.

The gym is one of those habits I need to keep everything tip top wellbeing wise so keen for this to get better.
If you live anywhere near Manchester, ring Salford University and ask for the sport rehabilitation clinic
What you will get for £20, is a very enthusiastic second year student's diagnosis and suggested rehabilitation programme overseen by their tutor who if you saw privately would charge you at least £60
I recommended this service to worsley a couple of years ago and he thought it was magnificent

Sounds like the same thing that I had, biceps tendinitis. My case was probably down to me swinging a hammer for the past 30 years.
Brutal stuff that put me out of work for about 6 weeks.
Couldn't put my arm above my head or hold it away from my body when it was under any kind of stress.
Deep tissue massage was the only thing I did for it.
I consider myself very lucky as my wife had it in both arms and couldn't even pull a shirt on or off.

Thanks folks - definitely centred around the elbow and lower arm rather than shoulder, but to follow up I've had a look and surgery is mentioned a few times.
It's improved a little over the past few weeks but nowhere near 'better' or close to doing any type of gym lifting.

It's the rehabilitation post surgery that would concern me. Can't afford to take any time off work (for many, many reasons) and it's a role that required dexterity with both hands (computer based).

I can replicate the pain by clenching my fist and lifting my arm up (as is bicep curling). The pain runs from my lower arm to the elbow (but not higher). I'll do a some research as mentioned above.

I think a physio will be a good start. I'm no spring chicken but being on top of my health and fitness is massively important for me.

Thanks all.
Twisted wrist.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.