Arm v painful after lifting in the gym 6 weeks on.

Despite having periods of injury (which is just hand in hand with sport & exercise) I’ll never stop.
Benefits far, far outweigh these injuries we pick up.

Continual core work (as an example) such as squatting, yoga & pilate has given me the core I had as an early teen (at 49).

Wasn’t that long ago I was walking around hunched with a fucked back/sciatica.

Just came across this when looking at pain after bicep curls (and given the popularity of this type of weight training it's quite common).
If I were to pinpoint the majority of pain it would be along the Extensor muscle and tendon (and perhaps why when I nudge my 'funny bone' it's so painful.

Hard to judge where I am in recovery at the moment as Covid has made all my muscles ache but once recovered from that and if it's still painful I'll go and find a session with a physio.

Good article here and highly likely one of the injuries is listed:

https://fitbod.me/blog/elbow-pain-bicep-curl/

1656427656199.png

The consultant at the Highfield said among my other injuries I also have Popeye syndrome which looks absolutely ridiculous in one arm .. he said it won't need intervention as I'm old.

I'll never get to wear a tight T-shirt again.

If you sustain damage to the tendon that connects your biceps to your bones, it can rupture painfully. When it does, your biceps will tense into a painful ball that resembles the arms of the 1930's cartoon character Popeye, which is why this injury is sometimes called a “Popeye Deformity”

Last edited:
Just came across this when looking at pain after bicep curls (and given the popularity of this type of weight training it's quite common).
If I were to pinpoint the majority of pain it would be along the Extensor muscle and tendon (and perhaps why when I nudge my 'funny bone' it's so painful.

Hard to judge where I am in recovery at the moment as Covid has made all my muscles ache but once recovered from that and if it's still painful I'll go and find a session with a physio.

Good article here and highly likely one of the injuries is listed:

https://fitbod.me/blog/elbow-pain-bicep-curl/

View attachment 48209
Did you ever get anywhere with this mate ?
I did that extensor muscle many years ago, and believe it or not, it was actually lifting up a wheelie bin full of soil, grass and leaves to tip it over the fence :-S

Bad news is, it took a very long time to heal and it was only rest that cured it in the end, from memory it was at least 6 months, still get the odd twinge now.

Arm v painful after lifting in the gym 6 weeks on.​

Don't go to the gym, go to the pub instead.

You can thank me later

Did you ever get anywhere with this mate ?
I did that extensor muscle many years ago, and believe it or not, it was actually lifting up a wheelie bin full of soil, grass and leaves to tip it over the fence :-S

Bad news is, it took a very long time to heal and it was only rest that cured it in the end, from memory it was at least 6 months, still get the odd twinge now.
Funnily enough I spoke to a lad at work about it and he had a similar experience.
He was given some physio exercised to do (which he kindly recreated on video and pinged them over) so I've been trying those.
Essentially holding the arm above the elbow quite tightly whilst I bicep curl a VERY light weight. Add in some wrist turns too.
If I as much as tap my 'funny bone' it smarts mind - very sensitive and sore.

It's probably over 3 months now and certainly a lot better but the 3-6 months recovery seems about right tbf.
My arms have deflated somewhat in that time mind....I was getting rather proud of them at one stage.

With that said, my running has kicked back in a little more routinely now.
You fully healed now though?
Thanks for asking!

Funnily enough I spoke to a lad at work about it and he had a similar experience.
He was given some physio exercised to do (which he kindly recreated on video and pinged them over) so I've been trying those.
Essentially holding the arm above the elbow quite tightly whilst I bicep curl a VERY light weight. Add in some wrist turns too.
If I as much as tap my 'funny bone' it smarts mind - very sensitive and sore.

It's probably over 3 months now and certainly a lot better but the 3-6 months recovery seems about right tbf.
My arms have deflated somewhat in that time mind....I was getting rather proud of them at one stage.

With that said, my running has kicked back in a little more routinely now.
You fully healed now though?
Thanks for asking!
Good stuff mate, I meant to ask a while ago but I wasn’t sure where exactly you were talking about, but that diagram pinpointed it for me, and brought back the memories.
I’d still be wary though as I still get the odd little twinge some years on, one thing to remember though looking at the initial cause and you upping the weight, connective tissue takes longer to grow and strengthen than muscle does, so whilst your muscle is ready to handle the extra weight, the ligaments and tendons etc aren’t quite there yet, so just ease into it more next time, when upping the weight never really push it, give it a couple of weeks for it to catch up and get used to it.
All the best with it mate.

Hi folks.
Does anyone have any experience with injuries lifting (specifically bicep curls)?
I jumped up a weight over 6 weeks ago but probably went a little too far too quickly (from dumbbells to barbells).

Feels like a tendon has been damaged and I'd been unable to even loft my arm without pain for a while. There's an area around the elbow which is very sensitive too (if I knock it, that too is really painful). Slowly recovering but nowhere near getting back into the gym (at least for weights - I'm still doing running, yoga, pilates etc).
I feel like a trip to the GP would ultimately take far too long to get an answer (and that's if I even get an appointment). Physio is an option but won't be cheap.

The gym is one of those habits I need to keep everything tip top wellbeing wise so keen for this to get better.
Wankers Elbow, common condition.
The only way to resolve this issue is to change your stroke, more languid gentle strokes with good form, instead of the two fingered furious knuckle shuffle.

You will be right as rain in 3 weeks to 6 months, depending on the depths of your depravity.

Wankers Elbow, common condition.
The only way to resolve this issue is to change your stroke, more languid gentle strokes with good form, instead of the two fingered furious knuckle shuffle.

You will be right as rain in 3 weeks to 6 months, depending on the depths of your depravity.
I know, I know....I need a girlfriend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.