Armistice Day

My wife had 4 great uncles perish in the Great War. One near Arras, two at the battle of Ypres and one in a pow camp in Berlin. We have visited their graves/memorial and continue to be deeply impressed and grateful to the work done by the commonwealth war graves commission. These cemeteries are as well kept today as they were when they were first commissioned. They do so much to honour the war dead and keep their memories alive.

At 11am you could hear the sound of a lone bugle. Its normally a gallant effort at the last post but he blew quite a few bum notes. I saw the Amazon man standing still outside his van looking at something.
It was a little old man wearing his beret and blowing the bugle. I went to thank him for his efforts and on the way back to the house a Salvation Army officer who told me the bugler was discharged from Christie's yesterday after Cancer Stage 2 treatment. He was determined to blow as usual and so he did.
Absolutely humbling.

At 11am you could hear the sound of a lone bugle. Its normally a gallant effort at the last post but he blew quite a few bum notes. I saw the Amazon man standing still outside his van looking at something.
It was a little old man wearing his beret and blowing the bugle. I went to thank him for his efforts and on the way back to the house a Salvation Army officer who told me the bugler was discharged from Christie's yesterday after Cancer Stage 2 treatment. He was determined to blow as usual and so he did.
Absolutely humbling.
A wonderful story,thanks for sharing.

Thank you for appreciating the poignancy of the occasion. I don't think he had the chance to practice in the Christie.

I hope that he and l are still around for next year's Remembrance.

My Great Grandad was shot and injured on the first day of The Battle Of The Somme and he had to come home and his war ended.

He was one of the lucky ones. Crazy to think if he would of stayed at The Somme there was a very good chance he would of never of made it home and i wouldn't be here

My great great grandad, Alfred Ernest Parker, was killed on 10th July 1916 on the 10th day of the battle of the Somme. Went to the battlefields and wargraves in 2018. At Theipval Memorial which is for the missing at the Somme.I found his name ,which you can do on computers at the site when you enter their name and battalion. Didn’t think it would have as much an effect on me that it did. Very emotional moment and I did shed a tear.

Attachments

• D94E980B-D0FB-486F-9189-A2389EB377ED.jpeg
    D94E980B-D0FB-486F-9189-A2389EB377ED.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My great great grandad, Alfred Ernest Parker, was killed on 10th July 1916 on the 10th day of the battle of the Somme. Went to the battlefields and wargraves in 2018. At Theipval Memorial which is for the missing at the Somme.I found his name ,which you can do on computers at the site when you enter their name and battalion. Didn’t think it would have as much an effect on me that it did. Very emotional moment and I did shed a tear.
My great uncle was killed with the Cheshiŕes on the Somme and there is s group from the regiment who are trying to locate and photograph all known graves.
Many could not be identified as individuals but the graves of those that were are extremely moving in their plain white design, the perfect symmetry of lay out and most of all the huge expanse of them. The simple message for those buried but not identified was a poignant
'Known unto God'

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.