Armistice Day

Yahtzee!! - of course he is - much younger. We are working from home so all it took was to stop for 2 mins and do nothing but reflect. I do work listening to the radio on line and just mute it before I take a call but FFS that just took the biscuit. It rang about one and a half times and he was so indignant that I had clearly cut him off. Thing is his FB page has been showing poppies and British Legion posts for over a week
Most younger ones only associate it with Remembrance Sunday and not the actual day.

My great grandfather was awarded the MC for taking out a machine gun post in France in WW1.
I never knew much about him. All I can remember is going to his council house in Salford. It was like driving through a bomb site very run down. The start of the 'Likely Lads' always remains of this.
He was sat in a small crowded front room. He only had one leg due to shrapnel damage.
Sadly that is all I remember of him. I was about 8yrs old, sadly we were living down saff by than and I dont remember ever seeing him again.
But I have got a copy of the press clipping of his award and what actions he took to awarded it. From what I remember we didnt treat them very well after the wars.

They were treated terribly with many unable to find work or go back to their old jobs.

This morning i watched the GMTV interview with Donald Bell,the Xtinction Rebellion protestor,who disrupted the Cenotaph preparations with his climate change banner/message.
He went on to describe the occasion,that any right minded individual pays respects to the fallen,as 'their little ritual'.

These people have a genuine concern,but to show such disrespect does their cause no favours whatsoever.

Donald Bell,you are nothing but scum.

I watched that interview and it's not quite exactly as you described. He made that comment about politicians attending the monument and seemed to be touching on the issue of politician's hypocrisy in respect to attending remembrance services but continuing to pursue policies that encourage the outbreak of wars. I don't think that method of protest did them any favours with the public because it obviously pissed people off and distracted from the point they were trying to put across anyway, but on the other hand it was the first I had heard about climate change likely leading to more wars. It was also poor decision to fall into the trap by going on This Morning Britain and he has tripped himself up with the use of an unfortunate turn of phrase. But calling a veteran of four tours of Northern Ireland "nothing but scum" is grossly unfair.

I watched that interview and it's not quite exactly as you described. He made that comment about politicians attending the monument and seemed to be touching on the issue of politician's hypocrisy in respect to attending remembrance services but continuing to pursue policies that encourage the outbreak of wars. I don't think that method of protest did them any favours with the public because it obviously pissed people off and distracted from the point they were trying to put across anyway, but on the other hand it was the first I had heard about climate change likely leading to more wars. It was also poor decision to fall into the trap by going on This Morning Britain and he has tripped himself up with the use of an unfortunate turn of phrase. But calling a veteran of four tours of Northern Ireland "nothing but scum" is grossly unfair.
Its exactly as i described.
Any man who thinks its ok to display such contempt for the occasion,a National day of respect,despite his service (which IMO makes it more of a disgrace) can only be described as such.He's a ****.

Its exactly as i described.
Any man who thinks its ok to display such contempt for the occasion,a National day of respect,despite his service (which IMO makes it more of a disgrace) can only be described as such.He's a ****.

Except it's not. He never used those words to criticise the public at large or anything at all similar to "any right thinking individual", but specifically the government. You can take issue with his protest but you can't put words in his mouth.

“Those soldiers gave their lives - the ultimate sacrifices - for our futures so that we could live in peace,” he said.

And when we have a Government that’s ignoring this climate emergency we’re in - their inaction is a crime."
He added: "When they turn up there every year for their little ritual, that is a sign of disrespect as far as I am concerned.”

"As far of the political side of this country is concerned, it’s just something they go through year and I don’t feel that they really respect the loss of life, that massive loss of life,” said the XR activist.

Video in Linked article

Over the years a few Historians have defended Haig saying he was forced to send the men over the top and no doubt he was under immense pressure to move us forward but he had reports saying it wouldn't end well and and to hold for more recon to be done and apparently he was a very stubborn man and once he made his decision it was final. a lot of the Marshalls disliked him and he came across as aloof and callous but got results and that's all what mattered

This is his diary entry on 2th July 1916

"A day of downs and ups! … The A(djutant) G(eneral) reported today that the total casualties are estimated at over 40,000 to date. This cannot be considered severe in view of the numbers engaged, and the length of front attacked…"

40,000 casualties in a day not severe!!
British forces suffered more than 57,000 casualties—including more than 19,000 soldiers killed—on the first day of the battle alone, making it the single most disastrous day in that nation's military history...

Casualties topped 1 million, including the deaths of more than 300,000. British troops sustained 420,000 casualties—including125,000 deaths—during the Battle of the Somme. The casualties also included 200,000French troops and 500,000 German soldiers.

Such a waste of young life(a generation)
Yet these snowflakes think their entitled to fking everything..

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

One off the most truefull/powerful statements ever inmo..

At 11am you could hear the sound of a lone bugle. Its normally a gallant effort at the last post but he blew quite a few bum notes. I saw the Amazon man standing still outside his van looking at something.
It was a little old man wearing his beret and blowing the bugle. I went to thank him for his efforts and on the way back to the house a Salvation Army officer who told me the bugler was discharged from Christie's yesterday after Cancer Stage 2 treatment. He was determined to blow as usual and so he did.
Absolutely humbling.
Several posters were kind enough to 'like' my post above. Sadly my neighbour died last night. Despite being ill, he managed to sound his faltering Last Post in November but it was his last one.
I hope the family or the British Legion can get a bugler or at least a recording to sound the Last Post at his funeral in these restricted times.
RIP.

Several posters were kind enough to 'like' my post above. Sadly my neighbour died last night. Despite being ill, he managed to sound his faltering Last Post in November but it was his last one.
I hope the family or the British Legion can get a bugler or at least a recording to sound the Last Post at his funeral in these restricted times.
RIP.
Just as a final word on my neighbour mentioned above. This morning the Last Post was sounded
just before the Family got into the cars outside his house.
I dont know who the bugler was but he was perfect and made a fitting farewell. RIP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.