Arsenal thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the responses gents. FWIW, I agree with most of the things said. Under the current ownership its going to be really difficult to compete to any level. However, they picked a total novice manager as I think they could see his future potential, & realise its a big project, so if you have the guts to do that, you should have the guts to see it through. I agree with a lot of changes on & off the field we now need stability.

I see this as a transition year, a season where a badly needed squad reset was / will be done, getting rid of a lot of the senior underperformers doing nothing like Ozil, Kolasinac, Mustafi, Sokratis etc & a chance to blood a younger hungrier squad.

I think there's the making of a good young team, Saliba, Gabriel, Tierney, Smith-Rowe, Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard (if we can get some sort of deal), to go alongside senior guys like Partey & Auba. We lack quality depth though, there's a big drop off when certain players are out, so there's a lot of work to be done still in the summer, but I'm hoping he's able to bring 3 or 4 of the right type of player in, although I think we'll need some luck with sales for that.
You've got to hold off binning Arteta while he gets a team together, there's shoots there just needs a few correct buys and a couple of big name departures.

Spurs doing a spursey will hopefully give him some time as there'll be less pressure locally with them not producing.

If he's not in or knocking on the top 4 next season think he'll be toast.

You've got to hold off binning Arteta while he gets a team together, there's shoots there just needs a few correct buys and a couple of big name departures.

Spurs doing a spursey will hopefully give him some time as there'll be less pressure locally with them not producing.

Are they going to give him a squad good enough? As in with more quality than at least 1 of ourselves, the dippers, Chelsea and the rags? Silly target to set otherwise, you're basically saying 'massively overperform or you're getting the sack' and any replacement will be in no position to improve.
Arsenal is a long term project right now not a quick fix. They're us post-Sven without the investment and with no guarantee of a dipper 09/10-esque implosion to create an opening and a far financially stronger group of clubs in and around them.

You say a few correct buys but nobody else is going to stand still while that happens.

Are they going to give him a squad good enough? As in with more quality than at least 1 of ourselves, the dippers, Chelsea and the rags? Silly target to set otherwise, you're basically saying 'massively overperform or you're getting the sack' and any replacement will be in no position to improve.
Arsenal is a long term project right now not a quick fix. They're us post-Sven without the investment and with no guarantee of a dipper 09/10-esque implosion to create an opening and a far financially stronger group of clubs in and around them.

You say a few correct buys but nobody else is going to stand still while that happens.
I'm trying to be positive for the poster.

I'm trying to be positive for the poster.
They've plenty to be positive about mate they're not going anywhere, unlike possibly 12 clubs in the division. But there's 8 clubs with a realistic chance of getting top 4 next season before we begin and ranking the squads from 1st-8th very few wouldn't put arsenal 8th if they really went through the squads and thought about it. Don't think anyone would have them above 6th. That's just the reality.

They've plenty to be positive about mate they're not going anywhere, unlike possibly 12 clubs in the division. But there's 8 clubs with a realistic chance of getting top 4 next season before we begin and ranking the squads from 1st-8th very few wouldn't put arsenal 8th if they really went through the squads and thought about it. Don't think anyone would have them above 6th. That's just the reality.
Don't think 6th next season would save the manager which to be honest is my only concern and that's for him rather than them.

I'd rather they turned full rat shit and he wasn't there. ;)

I agree. Like I said, there's the basis of a decent team there. A bit young, a bit raw, which might mean lacking a bit in consistency, but there's talent to work with in my opinion.

Outwith City, (& probably Liverpool if they can get injured players back & in form for next season), I've seen nothing from the other teams to scare me anyway, although of course they will feel likewise about us.

I'd go for a few solid if unspectacular guys in the summer, guys that are used to English / British football & at the right age to improve, guys like Bissouma, Edouard / Toney, perhaps a Buendia if we can't get Odegaard. Don't feel it needs to be big names, just have the right attributes & profile to suit what Arteta is looking to do going forward.

I agree. Like I said, there's the basis of a decent team there. A bit young, a bit raw, which might mean lacking a bit in consistency, but there's talent to work with in my opinion.

Outwith City, (& probably Liverpool if they can get injured players back & in form for next season), I've seen nothing from the other teams to scare me anyway, although of course they will feel likewise about us.

I'd go for a few solid if unspectacular guys in the summer, guys that are used to English / British football & at the right age to improve, guys like Bissouma, Edouard / Toney, perhaps a Buendia if we can't get Odegaard. Don't feel it needs to be big names, just have the right attributes & profile to suit what Arteta is looking to do going forward.
We could do with you guys turning up for Leicester this Sunday, a draw would do, with them probably having Maddison out that’s more than achievable for the Gunners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.