Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weeks topical Brexit quiz folks. Who said this?
"We export more to Ireland than we do to China,almost twice as much to Belgium than we do to India,nearly three times as much to Sweden as we do to Brazil. It is not realistic to think we could just replace European trade with these new markets.
In a stand off between Britain and the EU, 44 per cent of our exports is more important to us than eight per cent of the EU exports is to them.
Remaining inside the EU does make us more secure, it does make us more prosperous and it does make us more influential beyond our shores.
I believe it is clearly in our national interest to remain a member of the European Union."
Was it:
A. Teresa May
B. Theresa May
Gosh, did you not know she was on the remain side?

Gosh, did you not know she was on the remain side?
So as not to give anything away, I was aware that one of the persons named in the quiz was on the remain side, but I am not aware of the political views of the other lady in question.
Your answer would be most welcome ( particularly if accompanied by your valued observations).

This weeks topical Brexit quiz folks. Who said this?
"We export more to Ireland than we do to China,almost twice as much to Belgium than we do to India,nearly three times as much to Sweden as we do to Brazil. It is not realistic to think we could just replace European trade with these new markets.
In a stand off between Britain and the EU, 44 per cent of our exports is more important to us than eight per cent of the EU exports is to them.
Remaining inside the EU does make us more secure, it does make us more prosperous and it does make us more influential beyond our shores.
I believe it is clearly in our national interest to remain a member of the European Union."
Was it:
A. Teresa May
B. Theresa May

There is no evidence that any of this trade will be affected. If we export to Ireland we will continue to export to Ireland until something materially changes, so far there is zero evidence that anything will change.

I've said it on here many times though that the biggest threat with Brexit is the effect at a local level, that will be will people have jobs, will stuff become expensive. GDP and trade figures and the like are virtually irrelevant.

India, China and Brazil are some of the biggest economies in the world by GDP yet all 3 have incredible poverty rates but how is that possible?

We need to focus on the things that matter and to be honest this tangle on here over GDP figures, trade deals etc is completely missing the point and it amazes me how much it gets discussed to death.

This is why it is irrelevant - if tariffs come in it won't hurt business nor GDP figures because you and me will be the ones paying for the difference. The second the gas companies for example see a rise in wholesale gas prices, they pass it onto the customer. The second the oil price rises, petrol becomes more expensive. The second Tesco lettuce costs more they put their prices up.

People are going to be happy looking at a bunch of figures saying we have made a success of Brexit but at the end of the day they should be given we will all be the ones paying for it.

So as not to give anything away, I was aware that one of the persons named in the quiz was on the remain side, but I am not aware of the political views of the other lady in question.
Your answer would be most welcome ( particularly if accompanied by your valued observations).
My research on Teresa will have to wait until the wife goes to work. I'm making do with watching Seven of Nine on Star Trek Voyager - it seems she has Borg implants.

Not a chance.

As a labour man all my life i was delighted when it got brought in but fuck me did business not quickly catch on and think, fuck it, lets all pay the absolute bare minimum and that is that!

Remember the excitement you used to have when it came around to wage rise time of the year?

Probably not because if you are stuck on a minimum wage job then that is your lot for the rest of your life whilst those in charge line their fucking pockets safe in the knowledge they are paying the minimum.
why not change jobs ?? you are allowed to, nobody is STUCK

I have mentioned several times in recent weeks about the impact on Ireland should the EU take the 'hard-ball' stance with the UK on trade.

When you look past the bluster of Juncker et al that the EU diehards on here lap up, there will be real issues to be managed across the EU and it is not as certain to be the UK Vs the mighty and united EU that some on here crave.

I have mentioned before that the blow will be felt hardest and soonest in Ireland - this article provides useful context:

http://www.cityam.com/261426/brexit-force-ireland-reconsider-its-own-eu-membership

The 'in your face' nature of the impact on Ireland is reflected in the Taoiseach's recent comments:

"Our headline priorities are clear. We want to continue to facilitate trade on the island of Ireland and between Ireland and Great Britain, protect the achievement of the Northern Ireland peace process and the Good Friday Agreement and maintain the common travel area," he said.

"We also, of course, want to influence the future direction of the EU itself. I have highlighted and explained our particular priorities in all my meetings with my EU counterparts."

Mr Kenny indicated that he would be the Government's representative at a special meeting of EU leaders on April 29 where the guidelines for the negotiations will be decided."

Last edited:
Mr Kenny indicated that he would be the Government's representative at a special meeting of EU leaders on April 29 where the guidelines for the negotiations will be decided."

It will be interesting to see how much time is devoted to Irish issues on April 29th. Clearly the EU leaders are not going to turn up on 29th and start the process of drawing up guidelines. They would still be there at Christmas if they did. Much more likely is that EU bureaucrats will present them with a draft document for their approval. Whether Kenny will have much input into the preparation of that document is the key question.

Article 50? Has that number been chosen so that anyone who wants to leave is supposed to turf up £50billion as a 'get out'! I don't think Ted Heath paid that much to get in! The more you read about these shysters in Brussels (Vinnie and Kevin excluded) the more you think you are in a fairy tale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.