Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been saying for months that it is only when the UK not only has a viable walk-away option but the EU become clear that there exists the political will to use it, that the EU will change their arrogant stance. I think that they are starting that journey.
Davis today:

In an interview with the Sunday Times, Mr Davis accused Eurocrats of having 'axes to grind' and suggested other member states were posturing.

He insisted the UK was prepared to walk out if the other 27 member states did not moderate their demands.

'We don't need to just look like we can walk away, we need to be able to walk away. Under the circumstances, if that was necessary, we would be in a position to do it.'

So, it seems that the government holds the same view as I have been putting forward on the UK's need for having a viable walk-away option to temper the excesses of the EU demands. I am certainly not suggesting that makes me 'clever' - you don't not need to be clever to understand this simple fact - just not plain stupid.

Just as well really as the EU are on the brink of finalising their settlement demand:

The divorce demand is now expected to include money they claim is still owed by Britain from the period 2007 to 2013.

There could also be pressure for the UK to hand every EU citizen who has lived in the UK full rights to live and work here and claim benefits.

But Mr Davis rejected that idea out of hand, saying: 'How on earth would you manage such an exercise?'

Its the fundamentals that you want to ignore, for all the EU bluster some member countries face financial meltdown if they lose the UK markets, even the almighty Germans will balk at taking a complete lose because they are now going to be left as the biggest contributor without the complication of member states not being able to pay up.

Those German economists, French wine producers, and Italian cheese makers know full well that without the UK as a customer they face serious trouble, just where are they going to flog their wares exactly ?, we run a trade deficit with the EU, so for you to preach this one sided gloom and doom is utter nonsense.

You are right - but some just close their eyes and ears - and in some extreme cases even their minds

There is a tremendous amount of angst within Ireland about the impact of Brexit and the lobbying of the Irish government to secure 'special terms' in the negotiations. Comments are being made about access to special EU funding to compensate for the impact.

How will that work? Surely every sector within each of those countries that have significant trade with the UK are also going to want such support - who is going to pay for it if we do not offer up 100bn

Last edited:
At last! Something we can both agree on.

I do not claim to be clever - as I said:

"I am certainly not suggesting that makes me 'clever' - you don't not need to be clever to understand this simple fact - just not plain stupid."

Now are you going to ever answer that negotiating question or are you still claiming that you do not know to what I am referring - shall I repeat it for you

Then you can demonstrate to us all just how clever you are

I do not claim to be clever - as I said:

"I am certainly not suggesting that makes me 'clever' - you don't not need to be clever to understand this simple fact - just not plain stupid."

Now are you going to ever answer that negotiating question or are you still claiming that you do not know to what I am referring - shall I repeat it for you

Then you can demonstrate to us all just how clever you are

Yes.

Definition of viable in English:

Viable: Capable of working successfully.

There are a number of scenarios that might emerge from our Brexit negotiations, they range from painful to dreadful.

A walk-away option falls way outside of the above and descends in to catastrophic. Therefore there is no viable walk-away option, because such an option does not encompass the central definition of viable.

Yes.

There are a number of scenarios that might emerge from our Brexit negotiations, they range from painful to dreadful.

A walk-away option falls way outside of the above and descends in to catastrophic. Therefore there is no viable walk-away option, because such an option does not encompass the central definition of viable.
In your view.

In your view.

No. If you ever bothered to read you'll find there are no "successful" walk away solutions.

There are "no pain, no gain" fantasists urging us to walk away with a two fingered salute, but even they don't pretend there'll be no pain (pain is the go to word for Europhobes for utterly awful).

Yes.

what a pile of shit

Utter tosh !, lets take your doom to the ultimate extreme, there will be absolutely no trade whatever with any EU country.

Result - we lose a deficit trading arrangement, we are no longer paying a very large kick back to a parasite organisation with delusions of world domination, the goods we no longer buy from them will be replaced by either home grown or from countries that want to trade freely, the goods we sold to them will be available for purchase here or sold to countries that want trade.

There is nothing we HAVE to buy from an EU country, we are one of the biggest economies on the planet not some third world backwater with a begging bowl, we are a global player and have been for a f*cking long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.