As a night shift worker do I have any rights in regards to..

Nightmare Walking

I do 4 on/4 off rotating shifts. A builder has recently purchased the house next door as rightly so wants to renovate it asap. The problem is that it is having an adverse effect on my sleeping patterns as when on nights he wants to drill and bang about all day. I am currently getting maybe 3 hours kip before they start. I have tried to be reasonable and asked if we could come to a compromise and I am waiting for a reply. I can no longer keep finishing a 12 hour shift, getting maybe 3 hours kip then repeat the process. It is having an adverse effect of my health and performance in work.
Does anyone know if there is any legal rights I may have as a night shift worker. I really do not ant the issue to escalate and would like to reach a fair compromise which suits both parties. Unfortunately I do not know which way to turn at present. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Re: As a night shift worker do I have any rights in regards

I'm no legal expert, but I worked nights for years, and you just have to accept the world is a day place.

I had a late finish tonight, and I sympathise with your position. My health was affected, I was getting pains in my stomach and other physical problems, and after consulting my doctor he advised me to stop working nights.

I know those aren't the same problems you are having, but I remember the many occasions of going to bed with builders' radios playing, people mowing their lawns, kids playing in their gardens. I don't think you can stop them enjoying the daylight, but it did stop me falling to sleep when I went upstairs.

Fortunately, I had a sympathetic employer and I now work late days and evenings.

It was a sobering moment when I was told regular night workers lose, on average, 7 years of life.

It can be stressful when you are going to bed when the rest of the world is getting up.

I knocked nights on the head, and I'm feeling much better for it.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about your human rights, but is the stress of working nights really worth it?

Personally, I don't think it is, and I would never return to trying to sleep when the sun is streaming through the window and your neighbour has decided to mow the lawn!

I used to work on permanent night shifts, 19:00 to 07:00 as a security guard. I lived in a bedsit on a very busy main road where a cable TV company dug up the pavement every day.
I slept like a log throughout the day, mainly because I drank four cans of Tennants Super when I got in from work. Up at 17:00, shit, shave and shower and off to work again!

Please drink responsibly.

Nightmare Walking said:
I do 4 on/4 off rotating shifts. A builder has recently purchased the house next door as rightly so wants to renovate it asap. The problem is that it is having an adverse effect on my sleeping patterns as when on nights he wants to drill and bang about all day. I am currently getting maybe 3 hours kip before they start. I have tried to be reasonable and asked if we could come to a compromise and I am waiting for a reply. I can no longer keep finishing a 12 hour shift, getting maybe 3 hours kip then repeat the process. It is having an adverse effect of my health and performance in work.
Does anyone know if there is any legal rights I may have as a night shift worker. I really do not ant the issue to escalate and would like to reach a fair compromise which suits both parties. Unfortunately I do not know which way to turn at present. Any advice would really be appreciated.

go to his house in your dinner hour (i'm guessing 2 am ish) and make the biggest fucking din you can. when he pops his head out of the window give him a wave. better still take a loud haler and shout his name, when he comes to the window , still using the loud haler, ask for a quote on some central heating. dont forget to run through the finer details of what size of rads you want where.

or just oppose every single bit of planning he puts in.

It's what you get paid "night allowance" for so I'm guessing that you waive those rights.
I work 7-7 nights and without zopiclone and ear plugs I'd be screwed

I cannot see any compromise that he'd find acceptable, unless you offer to make up his wages lost while twiddling his thumbs..

Get yourself some good ear plugs a couple of glasses of whiskey, close all doors and windows and hope for the best.

I do 6-6 nights and not looking forward to the summer proper when everyone is out and about. There is always a house alarm or car alarm going off on my street (no I don't live in Beirut) tried beer and you end up getting up for a piss every hour..

The simply answer is no

Unless the noise is deliberate and you could prove it was being made solely to disrupt your sleep

nuisance noise laws never really take into account shift workers nor should they if truth be known

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.