Asian obsession

Mrs Laser and I were in Malaysia earlier this year and everywhere we went, when they found out we were English, all the waiters, taxi drivers, etc wanted to talk about was Premier League football. For all the apparent rag infestation of the place none of them admitted to being a scum fan, most being Arsenal or Liverpool fans. No Chelsea or City either which may mean there's something in this colour red bollocks that Cardiff fans have had to put up with. These fellas told me that City weren't even on the radar of Malaysian football fans until we won the Cup last year but that City were now becoming more popular.

Because it's better than anything we have, good to watch and the time is just right.
What is better than a football match live on telly after dinner. Early kick-off is at 8:45PM, 3AM kick-off is 11PM.
We also have La Liga this season, but 2-3AM is just far too late.
I tried following the champs league for a couple of years but watching footy at 4-6AM then having to report for work at 8AM is just too much.

And don't tell me to support my local team, don't have one.
No professional football here.

laserblue said:
Mrs Laser and I were in Malaysia earlier this year and everywhere we went, when they found out we were English, all the waiters, taxi drivers, etc wanted to talk about was Premier League football. For all the apparent rag infestation of the place none of them admitted to being a scum fan, most being Arsenal or Liverpool fans. No Chelsea or City either which may mean there's something in this colour red bollocks that Cardiff fans have had to put up with. These fellas told me that City weren't even on the radar of Malaysian football fans until we won the Cup last year but that City were now becoming more popular.

Cardiff don't have the history that Arsenal or Liverpool do so their decision to rebrand to red will only seem right if it significantly helps them improve both on and off the field. Are we going to see Cardiff City shirts being worn in the Far East despite them not currently even being a Premiership Club?

Living in Malaysia I have to put up with seeing pro rag reports in the press, there are a lot of Liverpool fans out here but City is getting bigger, they had a summer tour here and converted a lot of people to the cause, particularly in the way the premiership was won. The bad thing is that my bank only issues credit cards with Liverpool pictures on them.................the shame of having to hand that over when shopping!!

Many reasons - lot of stars, rivalry between clubs to take piss of their mates, lot of TV coverage (as someone already pointed, PL games are played in time they can watch it on TV), well marketed league, multi-billions people area where it's not that hard to find 100 millions of them obsessed with football to make you think everyone is though everyone are not.. etc, etc

English football has been covering and broadcasting on Thai national TV for more than 35 years, that's why English league is the most popular and familiar here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.