Astronomical events 2017

some, like one I saw a few years ago, are very big

Following on from the 'I can't remember if I dreamt it or it happened' post in the 'losing the plot' thread, I saw one about a decade ago that was so big, the trail looked as thick as a pencil held at arms length, and was long enough to cover roughly a quarter of the radius of the night sky.

At least, I *think* I saw it.

Perseid meteor shower at it's height this weekend.

Large bright gibbous moon is a bit of a problem, even if you get clear skies, but some, like one I saw a few years ago, are very big and the moon won't be a problem!

Up to 40/50 per hour, depending how dark your sky is...

https://www.space.com/37763-2017-perseid-meteor-shower-is-peaking-now.html
Every year I look for these, its either cloudy that's Manchester for you or I look at the night sky for ages and nothing.

Following on from the 'I can't remember if I dreamt it or it happened' post in the 'losing the plot' thread, I saw one about a decade ago that was so big, the trail looked as thick as a pencil held at arms length, and was long enough to cover roughly a quarter of the radius of the night sky.

At least, I *think* I saw it.
Ha

Well they do happen quick! But that sounds similar to what I thought I saw...

Definitely worth sitting out in the garden for a bit if the skies are clear.

Perseid meteor shower at it's height this weekend.

Large bright gibbous moon is a bit of a problem, even if you get clear skies, but some, like one I saw a few years ago, are very big and the moon won't be a problem!

Up to 40/50 per hour, depending how dark your sky is...

https://www.space.com/37763-2017-perseid-meteor-shower-is-peaking-now.html

it's beginning to look a bit miserable for tonight but tomorrow might be grand for it.

whenever there's something worth watching in the heavens i like to make flames.
sitting outside around a fire is one of mankind's primordial pleasures,
especially with good company & grog,
and thankfully i shall have both for the weekend.

as an aside,
i have often meant to task you about your username but never gotten around to it for fear of sounding cuntish.

over the years i have lucubrated much over the golden ratio and admire your moniker because of that,
but i must admit it is twinged with slight disappointment at your brevity.

if you don't mind me saying, your non de plume is a little abrupt and not at all as beautiful as it could be.
if you were, say, 1.6180339887 i think your charm would be even greater.

were i you i would've shown off with 1.618033988749894848,
but then again i'm something of a swanker.

it's beginning to look a bit miserable for tonight but tomorrow might be grand for it.

whenever there's something worth watching in the heavens i like to make flames.
sitting outside around a fire is one of mankind's primordial pleasures,
especially with good company & grog,
and thankfully i shall have both for the weekend.

as an aside,
i have often meant to task you about your username but never gotten around to it for fear of sounding cuntish.

over the years i have lucubrated much over the golden ratio and admire your moniker because of that,
but i must admit it is twinged with slight disappointment at your brevity.

if you don't mind me saying, your non de plume is a little abrupt and not at all as beautiful as it could be.
if you were, say, 1.6180339887 i think your charm would be even greater.

were i you i would've shown off with 1.618033988749894848,
but then again i'm something of a swanker.

Nobody's perfect mate. Least of all me!

Enjoy the fire, sounds great. Very paleolithic.

Let's hope for clear skies and a spectacular show.

Thanks for the heads up, shame i only just saw this, no idea if i could see from here or not, sky has been clear a few hours though. Defo gonna stay up tonight and see whats what.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.