Atheist

I tell my kids that granddad has gone to heaven because it suits and it makes them feel better about him not being around.
Truth is though, there is no heaven and there is no hell, they can make their own decisions when the time is right and whatever they decide, its fine by me

I'd be saying whatever I thought was most comforting to a couple of young kids, even if it wasn't true.

SkyBlueFlux said:
Atheists do not believe there is no deity.

They simply reject the claim that a deity exists.

Not trying to derail the thread any more than it already is, but again its semantics of the terminology of what was being said.

take a look at the definition of atheist in a dictionary, they all say roughly the same thing, "disbelief of a deity" " denies or disbelives in a suprime being", all of them use the term believes in some way or another.

Deck the room out with candles, and loads of books on 1066, The Spanish Armada and all that stuff, sack your job and wear shell suits. They will understand without you having to say a word.

At 10 and 8 I'd think they probably know more about the concept of death than you'd imagine. Just tell them when she dies and make sure to be there for them and it will be fine.

SteWadda said:
I'm thinking telling them
she has gone to heaven with God is actually going to make things worse. They like all kids and will ask questions. Like whys God give a 22 year old cancer.

Ah crap, that's really harsh.

grunge said:
SkyBlueFlux said:

Not trying to derail the thread any more than it already is, but again its semantics of the terminology of what was being said.

take a look at the definition of atheist in a dictionary, they all say roughly the same thing, "disbelief of a deity" " denies or disbelives in a suprime being", all of them use the term believes in some way or another.

Yes they would say that because it's true, you're missing the point though. Disbelief in a deity is NOT the same as holding a belief that there is no deity.

That's not semantics, there is a very clear difference. As I said in my court example, disbelieving somebody is guilty is not the same as believing they are innocent.

My lad was 8 when his Grandfather died very suddenly. It was the first time someone had died that he was very close to. I told him he had gone to heaven, which he accepted and seemed at ease with. However, I didn't take him to the funeral as I thought it would upset him unnecessarily (it was a burial).
I did what I thought was right for my child at that time and it seemed to make for an easy transition.
It didn't turn him into a church goer or someone that believes in a religion, in fact he is an atheist now and has been since he was a teenager.
Just do what you think is right for your children; after all you know them best.

SkyBlueFlux said:
grunge said:
SkyBlueFlux said:

Yes they would say that because it's true, you're missing the point though. Disbelief in a deity is NOT the same as holding a belief that there is no deity.

That's not semantics, there is a very clear difference. As I said in my court example, disbelieving somebody is guilty is not the same as believing they are innocent.

Either way, the fact that I was using the term "believe" it place of know/think etc. And its the semantics of the term I used that's being looked at.

People forcing what they believe to be true on someone is exactly the same no matter what angle you look at it from.

An athist tells a child what they know/believe to be true. Hence its semantics of the word "believe", although semantics might not be the correct term.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.