Atletico Mineiro v PSV / United at Maine Road 1987

The Salford lad.

Team supported
Manchester City
I’m currently in Brazil and talking to local football fans, I can’t find anything about the tri club competition mid 80s which also involved Utd, …

Last edited by a moderator:
Atletico Mineiro beat PSV 3-1 on the Tuesday, (before the City v United game) to play United in the final where they lost 3-1

Attendance was 20,000 on the Tuesday and 7,000 on the Wednesday.
I went both days but buggered off after the City v PSV game, not wanting to see the final.

Clube Atlético Mineiro, commonly known as Atlético, Mineiro, Atlético Mineiro or Atletico MG and colloquially as Galo, is the biggest and oldest professional football club of Belo Horizonte, the capital city of the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais.

Interesting that 9 months later PSV were crowned European Champions beating Benfica on penalties 6-5

Found this on youtube - the Mineiro v PSV game

Last edited:
I saw all 4 games, my main memories are Paul Stewart being subbed on the refs advice so he didn't need to send him off & a really well taken goal by the Brazilians.

I’m currently in Brazil and talking to local football fans, I can’t find anything about the tri club competition mid 80s which also involved Utd, …
Didn’t we have to play in sponsorless shirts as PSV were also sponsored by Philips?

Atletico Mineiro beat PSV 3-1 on the Tuesday, (before the City v United game) to play United in the final where they lost 3-1

Attendance was 20,000 on the Tuesday and 7,000 on the Wednesday.
I went both days but buggered off after the City v PSV game, not wanting to see the final.

Clube Atlético Mineiro, commonly known as Atlético, Mineiro, Atlético Mineiro or Atletico MG and colloquially as Galo, is the biggest and oldest professional football club of Belo Horizonte, the capital city of the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais.

Interesting that 9 months later PSV were crowned European Champions beating Benfica on penalties 6-5

Found this on youtube - the Mineiro v PSV game

Seem to recall McClair scoring a hat trick for the Rags. I was so pissed off that I didn’t have the inclination to return for the PSV game ☹️

Seem to recall McClair scoring a hat trick for the Rags. I was so pissed off that I didn’t have the inclination to return for the PSV game ☹️
CITY 1 MANCHESTER UNITED 3

Manchester International Football Tournament

4th August 1987

attendance ???

Scorers
City
Simpson(76)
United Robson(11), McClair(42 & 51)

ref Neil Midgley​

City Nixon, Gidman, Hinchliffe, Clements, Brightwell, Redmond, White, Stewart, Varadi, Scott, McNab – used sub Simpson

I remember going to one of these type friendly competitions in the mid 80s, but I'm sure it was played on a Sunday, but time plays tricks on you. I remember my dad wouldn't stay for the next game(whoever it was) can anybody put me out of my misery and tell me that we did or didn't play a similar competition a year or two earlier?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.