Attending an MLS Match in the US

RandolphMABlue

Team supported
City, of course!
Since I haven't been able to get over to watch City for obvious reasons, went with the wife and brother-in-law last night to watch New England Revolution/New York Red Bulls match at Gillette Stadium. First time we had been to a match there since before Covid. Overall it was a very pleasant evening - nice summer night and an entertaining match that the Revolution won 3-2.

Positives: only about a 30 minute drive even with rush hour traffic; able to get a decent slice of pizza before the match since the stadium is in a large mall complex with plenty of food options; phone app for tickets worked quite well; enjoyable match even if lacking in quality, but it is MLS.

Negatives: hard to believe that we pay more for MLS matches than I do for City matches - tickets range from $34 to $95, and we bought low/mid range seats for $54.50; it is an American Football stadium so very flat tiering; beer -$12 for regular size and $14 for large; lots in the crowd were up and down constantly for food, etc.; noise before match and at halftime was brutal - music blaring way too loud and a "revolution" chant that blasted for about 5 minutes to try to rev up the crowd reminded me of the noise at basketball games; winners of giveaways being announced during the match.

I'm an old geezer, so take all of this with a grain of salt. Yeah, some things not to like, but at least we had a nice summer night out watching football. Can't wait until you'll let us back in so we can get back and watch CITY!

On holiday in LA a couple of years ago, I had the misfortune to attend an LA Galaxy game. Never been so bored in my life! The stands were full of families with picnics, fair enough if that’s their thing, but they barely took any notice of what was going on in front of them. There is a culture of having barbecue’s outside the stadium before kick-off, I really don’t know why most bothered to pay to get in!

Since I haven't been able to get over to watch City for obvious reasons, went with the wife and brother-in-law last night to watch New England Revolution/New York Red Bulls match at Gillette Stadium. First time we had been to a match there since before Covid. Overall it was a very pleasant evening - nice summer night and an entertaining match that the Revolution won 3-2.

Positives: only about a 30 minute drive even with rush hour traffic; able to get a decent slice of pizza before the match since the stadium is in a large mall complex with plenty of food options; phone app for tickets worked quite well; enjoyable match even if lacking in quality, but it is MLS.

Negatives: hard to believe that we pay more for MLS matches than I do for City matches - tickets range from $34 to $95, and we bought low/mid range seats for $54.50; it is an American Football stadium so very flat tiering; beer -$12 for regular size and $14 for large; lots in the crowd were up and down constantly for food, etc.; noise before match and at halftime was brutal - music blaring way too loud and a "revolution" chant that blasted for about 5 minutes to try to rev up the crowd reminded me of the noise at basketball games; winners of giveaways being announced during the match.

I'm an old geezer, so take all of this with a grain of salt. Yeah, some things not to like, but at least we had a nice summer night out watching football. Can't wait until you'll let us back in so we can get back and watch CITY!
The only US match I have been to was in 1981 to watch Portland Timbers v Seattle Sounders (I was living in Oregon at the time).The Timbers had ex City players Willie Donachie and Keith McCrae. What I remember most is the amazing atmosphere which came as a surprise. I didn't realise it was the biggest derby in US football. I had a great time and got very drunk with a group of Timbers' fans. One offered me a job at his roofing business which I did for a few months. Happy days.

Those prices are scandalous but I imagine they are pretty standard for professional sport in the US.
My brother and his missus got a freebie to a New York Knicks NBA game a few years back and the ticket price was eye watering.
Good to see the New Jersey rags got beat anyway

Those prices are scandalous but I imagine they are pretty standard for professional sport in the US.
My brother and his missus got a freebie to a New York Knicks NBA game a few years back and the ticket price was eye watering.
You need ID as well if you want alcohol.
Was at a Yankees baseball game and the scouse friendly up in the gods.
Baseball was good high up but the football was not so good.
No idea how the locals can afford it though if the go regularly

I’ve just looked on the Dolphins' Website, and tickets for the Bills' game in September start at $105.

The pricing is extremely dynamic. If a team is doing well and attracting a full-house, you will be brutally gouged. However, I have been to MLB games where the tickets have been like $5, because nobody wanted to go and watch a very average White Sox take on an even worse Detroit Tigers on a Tuesday evening

The NFL has the worst prices because they have so few home games per season. With baseball you have 81 home games in a season, in (American) football you get 8 or 9

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.