Attending an MLS Match in the US

Went to Ft Lauderdale Strikers v Detroit Express in 1980 and all I can really remember of it was Gerd Müller playing for Ft.L and a Brass Band striking up every now and then throughout the game -not a few guys with Trumpets etc but an a complete Band!!

Since I haven't been able to get over to watch City for obvious reasons, went with the wife and brother-in-law last night to watch New England Revolution/New York Red Bulls match at Gillette Stadium. First time we had been to a match there since before Covid. Overall it was a very pleasant evening - nice summer night and an entertaining match that the Revolution won 3-2.

Positives: only about a 30 minute drive even with rush hour traffic; able to get a decent slice of pizza before the match since the stadium is in a large mall complex with plenty of food options; phone app for tickets worked quite well; enjoyable match even if lacking in quality, but it is MLS.

Negatives: hard to believe that we pay more for MLS matches than I do for City matches - tickets range from $34 to $95, and we bought low/mid range seats for $54.50; it is an American Football stadium so very flat tiering; beer -$12 for regular size and $14 for large; lots in the crowd were up and down constantly for food, etc.; noise before match and at halftime was brutal - music blaring way too loud and a "revolution" chant that blasted for about 5 minutes to try to rev up the crowd reminded me of the noise at basketball games; winners of giveaways being announced during the match.

I'm an old geezer, so take all of this with a grain of salt. Yeah, some things not to like, but at least we had a nice summer night out watching football. Can't wait until you'll let us back in so we can get back and watch CITY!
Was a half-season ticket holder to the Revs years back so used to go a lot. It was more affordable then. Yeah if you can get over the family-themed events and people not paying attention, then it's a decent experience. Went to see them play NYCFC a few years ago when NYCFC had Vieira coaching (got to say hello) and Lampard and Angelino were playing for NYCFC. Good night out. But you're right; the ticket prices are getting out of control. Still as I now live a 15 minute walk to the stadium, I might just trot over there over the summer and catch a game or two.

I also met the immortal Ousmane Dabo when he was briefly signed for the Revs. I was coaching my daughter's team and were invited to do it on the Gillette pitch after we won a tournament. Anyway, Dabo came over to say hello. Quite a nice guy. Not the best footballer but a nice guy.

Was a half-season ticket holder to the Revs years back so used to go a lot. It was more affordable then. Yeah if you can get over the family-themed events and people not paying attention, then it's a decent experience. Went to see them play NYCFC a few years ago when NYCFC had Vieira coaching (got to say hello) and Lampard and Angelino were playing for NYCFC. Good night out. But you're right; the ticket prices are getting out of control. Still as I now live a 15 minute walk to the stadium, I might just trot over there over the summer and catch a game or two.

I also met the immortal Ousmane Dabo when he was briefly signed for the Revs. I was coaching my daughter's team and were invited to do it on the Gillette pitch after we won a tournament. Anyway, Dabo came over to say hello. Quite a nice guy. Not the best footballer but a nice guy.
I’d imagine that you didn’t mention a certain Mr Joseph Barton, formerly of this parish.

Never been to a football game in the US, but when in NY, we attended a basketball game in Madison Square Gardens, I read before going that the Boston Celtics were playing the NY Knicks. It was the last game of the season. Before we went we had dinner, but whilst there we found out as a thank you to the fans, all the food and drink, except booze, was free. As you can imagine, I was fucking raging I had eaten. Was only able to eat four hotdogs and 8 ice creams before being sick. I loved it. Half time entertainment was great. Oh and the Celtics won.

Those prices are scandalous but I imagine they are pretty standard for professional sport in the US.
My brother and his missus got a freebie to a New York Knicks NBA game a few years back and the ticket price was eye watering.
Good to see the New Jersey rags got beat anyway
Ticket prices were actually pretty low compared to baseball, football and basketball. Won bleacher seat (in centerfield as far as you can get from home plate) tickets to Red Sox/Yankees at Fenway Park a few years back and I think they were $55 each. Even college basketball prices are sky high. When I tell friends I am going to a Premier League or Champions League match, they are amazed when I tell them it costs less than MLS. Don't get me started on concert tickets over here . . .

You need ID as well if you want alcohol.
Was at a Yankees baseball game and the scouse friendly up in the gods.
Baseball was good high up but the football was not so good.
No idea how the locals can afford it though if the go regularly
For better or worse, you can bring the beer to your seat . . . and they did have nice cupholders.

Can't believe how big the Patriot Place complex has gotten now. Even with a small crowd, it took about 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot once we got to the car.

Lots of tailgating before the match and a little after. It was nice to see so many families, but we could have done without the kids soccer team and the soccer moms a few rows in front of us. Don't think any of them watched much of the match, but they still seemed to have a good time. Must have gotten some sort of discount on tix, or it would have cost a fortune.

Can't believe how big the Patriot Place complex has gotten now. Even with a small crowd, it took about 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot once we got to the car.

Lots of tailgating before the match and a little after. It was nice to see so many families, but we could have done without the kids soccer team and the soccer moms a few rows in front of us. Don't think any of them watched much of the match, but they still seemed to have a good time. Must have gotten some sort of discount on tix, or it would have cost a fortune.
Yeah the Revs always do specials for youth soccer teams at discounted rates. At least they used to. So the parents tag along, some with no interest in the game at all. Along with some of the kids who are more interested in the hot dogs and soda. So yeah you can get big portions of the crowd not paying much attention which is a bit annoying.

Yeah Pats Place is pretty big now. No fun to get out of there after a game though, especially a Patriots game. But I live close by now. Close enough to offer parking to my friends and charge everyone else...:)

I've never been able to get into the Revs - or, indeed, any club other than City. Also I'm up on the Route 2 corridor so it is a bit of a drive to get over to Foxboro.

I also wish they did not have such an MLS 1996-standard name. Change it to Boston FC or some such. Might make it easier for Eurosnob purists like me to take the club seriously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.