Auctioning the naming rights to the stadium

Burnage Rick

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1340615/Manchester-City-chairman-Khaldoon-Al-Mubarak-lays-marker.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... arker.html</a>

If what is written in this article is indeed true, and we are going to be auctioning the naming rights to the stadium. Is there any rules in place, or do the club, fans or anyother stakeholder have a say on what the stadium is named?

I'd hate to think that the highest bidder could name the staduim anything they liked.

if it was maine road maybe id be more bothered, but the city of Manchester stadium as a name doesnt really mean anything to me, as said somewhere in the transfer forum, itl be the etihad arena

I agree. But I hate the fact that its open to abuse. Suppose it would be a very expensive practical joke though!

My thinking here is that a rich "friend of the owner" will win this auction, plough a load of money in, and we break even on the financial fair play rules ;-)

No problem with it as long as it isn't something daft. It provides us with a little bit of hope of making the FFP rules at least

Pigeonho said:
Nah, it won't be sold to someone naming it something daft. If the club have told someone with the ego of Tevez the way it is, they won't cave in to the 'Ronald McDonald Arena' just to bring in a few quid. The Etihad Erena is what i'm going for!

I think you could be bang on the money there. Either that or it could be something to do with this Disney business.

Disney own the majority share in ESPN.... ESPN Area / Stadium anyone?

WTGD!! said:
I agree. But I hate the fact that its open to abuse. Suppose it would be a very expensive practical joke though!

My thinking here is that a rich "friend of the owner" will win this auction, plough a load of money in, and we break even on the financial fair play rules ;-)

That can't be done, FIFA/UEFA which ever one it is, will decide if what the company has paid is reasonable or not.

dannybcity said:
WTGD!! said:

That can't be done, FIFA/UEFA which ever one it is, will decide if what the company has paid is reasonable or not.

But how can they put a price on the right to name the stadium indefinately, its world wide advertsiing for life, that will hit all media outlets whether it be TV, Print, Internet, Radio. The coverage wont just be football related either, when you take into account the music concerts, and future leisure complex.

Barca have just had a £125m kit deal signed off by FIFA, which only lasts 5 years. Surly naming a sadium for life is worth a hell of a lot more than that, especially if we are in the champs league next season.

From the story:

Khaldoon doesn’t lack confidence. During a seven-a-side game involving Mancini and his coaching staff on Sunday, he almost scored with a brilliant overhead kick. He will no doubt expect it to go in next time.

Sign him up, has to be better than Jo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.