Avanti suspends ticket sales and running only one train per hour to London

Agreed. Absolute fucking disgrace they they are not, with the exception of telecommunications (if that’s classified as a utility).
Reminds me of the story my old O Level German teacher who was an “Osti”(East German) used to tell:

My father rang the telephone company to say our phone wasn’t working properly, we needed a new one snd when could you send an engineer to install it. The chief engineer looked at his diary: “The first slot I have available is in....7 years, 3 months and.....26 days.”
“Will that be in the morning or the afternoon?”
“Why do you ask? “
“We’ve got the plumber coming in the morning”

Reminds me of the story my old O Level German teacher who was an “Osti”(East German) used to tell:

My father rang the telephone company to say our phone wasn’t working properly, we needed a new one snd when could you send an engineer to install it. The chief engineer looked at his diary: “The first slot I have available is in....7 years, 3 months and.....26 days.”
“Will that be in the morning or the afternoon?”
“Why do you ask? “
“We’ve got the plumber coming in the morning”
That somewhat hackneyed joke raises a serious point about the differences between state owned and operated organisations - and companies driven by the profit motive.

The latter are definitely more innovative and have a greater tendency to bring about change which can benefit the end user, but I don’t believe the differences in efficiencies between one and the other are anywhere near as stark as some would have you believe. I’ve encountered plenty of large companies that are appallingly run and plenty of public service providers that are extremely efficient.

Weighed against the wider benefit that publicly owned entities undeniably provide, the case for greater public ownership is an overwhelmingly strong one.

The fully state owned Italian rail network is absolutely superb.
Which is ironic seeing as Avanti is owned by Trenitalia!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.