Away goals in the cold light of day

trublue55

This is not a reflection on my disappointment at last nights result, or the dubious nature of VAR, and it does not relate specifically to last nights exit.

BUT

Is there still any justification, for deciding a knockout tie on away goals? Many years ago, away teams put 10 men behind the ball, and desperately tried to hang on to what they started with, (0 - 0), as the old adage was draw away from home, and beat them back at our place, which is where i believe the notion started, that it was an advantage to play the first leg away. In an attempt to encourage a less defensive approach , the away goals rule came into being, to encourage the away side to be slightly more adventurous.

However, i now think the time has come to do away with the "away goals rule" If ever a match was crying out for another 30 mins, and / or penalties, last night was that match, and the hell with tv schedules. The theory that second leg at home is an advantage no longer holds true, the away team in the second leg, is the only one that the away goal rule helps. Previously a 0- 0 at home in the first leg was classed as a failure to press home your home advantage, now some people claim a 0 - 0 at home in the first leg is a good result. I don't get it. Can you imagine if away goals counted double in league games? Similarly, in tennis, if points won on an opponents serve counted double?

A goal is a goal, and only one goal, the whole game of football is, or at least should be about scoring goals, so why one earth, are some goals numerically worth more than others?

This is not a reflection on my disappointment at last nights result, or the dubious nature of VAR, and it does not relate specifically to last nights exit.

BUT

Is there still any justification, for deciding a knockout tie on away goals? Many years ago, away teams put 10 men behind the ball, and desperately tried to hang on to what they started with, (0 - 0), as the old adage was draw away from home, and beat them back at our place, which is where i believe the notion started, that it was an advantage to play the first leg away. In an attempt to encourage a less defensive approach , the away goals rule came into being, to encourage the away side to be slightly more adventurous.

However, i now think the time has come to do away with the "away goals rule" If ever a match was crying out for another 30 mins, and / or penalties, last night was that match, and the hell with tv schedules. The theory that second leg at home is an advantage no longer holds true, the away team in the second leg, is the only one that the away goal rule helps. Previously a 0- 0 at home in the first leg was classed as a failure to press home your home advantage, now some people claim a 0 - 0 at home in the first leg is a good result. I don't get it. Can you imagine if away goals counted double in league games? Similarly, in tennis, if points won on an opponents serve counted double?

A goal is a goal, and only one goal, the whole game of football is, or at least should be about scoring goals, so why one earth, are some goals numerically worth more than others?
Did I read somewhere they are to be scrapped.

That penalty, all day long. We could have stopped the tie after 10 mins, we missed, done.

I am just praying that the Anfield miss doesn't have the same catastrophic consequences.

Doesn't excuse the manner of exit from the competition but it's a bullshit rule and I hope we see the back of it asap.

Don't agree that the game should be finished at 90 mins though,extra time should be played,and if no further goals are scored,then the away goal rule should come in to play.

Didn't it used to be like that years ago ?

Another 30 mins last night could of seen us win,well no I'll say we would have won to be honest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.