Away goals rule in European competitions

no change from previous

“For matches played under the knockout system, if the two teams involved in a tie score the same number of goals over the two legs, the team which scores more away goals qualifies for the next stage. If this procedure does not produce a result, i.e. if both teams score the same number of goals at home and away, two 15-minute periods of extra time are played at the end of the second leg. If both teams score the same number of goals during extra time, away goals count double (i.e. the visiting team qualifies for the next stage). If no goals are scored during extra time, kicks from the penalty mark determine which team qualifies for the next stage”
So in other words nothing has changed.

Away goals rule is fine. No need of extra-time after playing 180 minutes.
Away goals rule imho is not fine Why should a goal count twice? It was originally introduced to avoid replays in European competitions subsequently, penalty shootouts were introduced Take the Llorente handball v City last season, a goal that arguably shouldn’t have stood, ended up being counted double There is also an argument that it encourages a team to park the bus and try to score on the breakaway away from home

Away goals rule imho is not fine Why should a goal count twice? It was originally introduced to avoid replays in European competitions subsequently, penalty shootouts were introduced Take the Llorente handball v City last season, a goal that arguably shouldn’t have stood, ended up being counted double There is also an argument that it encourages a team to park the bus and try to score on the breakaway away from home

Not only that. A 0-0 first leg result is now considered a decent score for the home team.

I'm sure I read somewhere that UEFA were bringing in Rock, Paper, Scissors to settle drawn ties this season?

No mate you're mistaken. The respective e sports gamer for each club have a playoff match live on the big screen for us all to see to determine who wins the game.

You know, that screen that make VAR decisions clear for us all.

After two legs away goals should be used to decide the tie. i.e 1-1 and 2-2 the side that scored 2 away should go through. If both games are 1-1 then if they play extra time, the aways goals should NOT count double (or whatever it is). If its 2-2 after full time and 3-3 after extra time it should go to penalties. The away team would have had an extra 30 minutes to get a massive advantage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.