#14 | Aymeric Laporte - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Laportes disappearance relates to the 1st goal at Spurs, I have no issues. It was a bad mistake and it wasn't the 1st time since he has been here that he has cost us in a big game. However, overall his mistakes have been few and far between and he has been a great signing. He has taken his medicine and should now be brought back into the fold. Pep cannot continue to alienate him, when other players in the side have been largely terrible for 12 months or more and keep being picked week in, week out no matter what.

I for one am glad that Pep has benched him, not because I don't think he is quality or that he won't eventually get in the lineup but to remind him that no one is untouchable or an automatic starter. He's made a few high-profile errors in big games over the last few seasons. Lighting a fire under him to know that he has legit competition is only a good thing. I expect him to be focused and win his starting position back.

Good to see Pep play those in form,those that have earnt the shirt.I'm not just referring to Laporte.
You should go back and watch the previous game to Spurs when we played Liverpool. He was brilliant and together with Dias the partnership was blossoming beautifully.

Now he makes one mistake v Spurs and he deserves to not only be dropped for 3 games but have his whole reputation be questioned?

What about De Bruyne, Sterling, Mahrez, Silva, Rodr etc? They’ve all been well below their best for months never mind make one mistake.

We could be at the start of another Sane situation here which would be unacceptable. Pep contradicts himself constantly and singles players out when he then picks other players who are bigger culprits.

You should go back and watch the previous game to Spurs when we played Liverpool. He was brilliant and together with Dias the partnership was blossoming beautifully.

Now he makes one mistake v Spurs and he deserves to not only be dropped for 3 games but have his whole reputation be questioned?

What about De Bruyne, Sterling, Mahrez, Silva, Rodr etc? They’ve all been well below their best for months never mind make one mistake.

We could be at the start of another Sane situation here which would be unacceptable. Pep contradicts himself constantly and singles players out when he then picks other players who are bigger culprits.
I don't agree,I think he's looked a bit off since returning from injury.The other players you have mentioned are all subject to the same treatment IMO,no one is exempt.Unfotunately though we aren't as blessed in other areas.
I definitely don't see another Sane situation,he was just a fanny.

Laporte is absolute class and he is our vvd but suddenly he makes a mistake and the knives come out for him . It’s probably true that pep was pissed off over the Spurs game but guess what we were all pissed of that pep fucked up against Lyon but we move on. Dias and Laporte is a world class partnership which will set us up for years and as John stones regains form then he is a good understudy .

Laporte is absolute class and he is our vvd but suddenly he makes a mistake and the knives come out for him . It’s probably true that pep was pissed off over the Spurs game but guess what we were all pissed of that pep fucked up against Lyon but we move on. Dias and Laporte is a world class partnership which will set us up for years and as John stones regains form then he is a good understudy .
I do concur however, as with Sterling, a spell on the bench will do no harm.
When they get the next chance, best take it.

I don't agree,I think he's looked a bit off since returning from injury.The other players you have mentioned are all subject to the same treatment IMO,no one is exempt.Unfotunately though we aren't as blessed in other areas.
I definitely don't see another Sane situation,he was just a fanny.
I don't have enough of an argument to really change your (or anyone's) mind here but I'd like to try anyway and suggest a counterpoint.

Laporte was not any worse after the injury. In Laporte's entire tenure at the club prior to his injury City were an absolutely dominant side, that very rarely failed to win. It was such a strong side throughout that everybody brought the best out of everybody. You can't say that about last season or this one (yet, hopefully). No outfield player looked as good last season as they did during the two seasons prior. Even the very best of those and most consistent (De Bruyne, Walker, Aguero) each had moments during games that exposed their weaknesses that wouldn't have been a remote problem back in the title winning seasons, if even noticeable.

Laporte came back into the team and in my opinion did everything he normally does. It's just the team was worse and so the things he got wrong became more obvious. But he was doing all of those things prior to the injury, we just didn't notice. He's always been a more subtle defender compared to some of the more crash and bang guys we have so it's less obvious as to the things he does too, good or bad. You could talk about his attacking contributions similarly too.

But as far as I'm concerned we went from a team that were haphazard and eternally leaky at the back regardless of opposition to a team that were solid and picking up frequent clean sheets after Laporte came back into the team. Across the season we got 10 clean sheets in 14 games he started. Post injury it was 8 from 10. And that was with the likes of Garcia, Otamendi, not quite right Stones, and not quite CB Fernandinho next to him. I think he was as good as always, and he had a hugely positive effect on us for being fit and as good as he was.

All that being said, it's good Stones seems to be stepping up, and hopefully Aké can too once he's fully acclimatised. 4 top CBs to compete with each other over 60 games is a really great thing for me. I know Dias is looking really good right now but there's no guarantees that he'll be 1st choice if the other 3 push hard, which I assume is the point.

tl;dr Laporte as good as ever, just mistakes were more noticeable because the team has become weaker than previously.

I think it was harsh Laporte was seemingly dropped because of the Son goal but its 3 times in a row hes had a mare against them and Pep no doubt lost his shit. Stones hasn't had the biggest challenges but hes done his job and Pep is no doubt happy with that. As it stands it has to be Dias and Stones for me. Laporte to get 90 against Olympiacos next week.

Both Barcelona and Real Madrid are desperate for long-term replacements of Pique and Ramos respectively and it won't surprise me if they come sniffing around.
Hope we can avoid another Sane situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.