#14 | Aymeric Laporte - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying it hasn't, but I'm yet to see a convincing argument that says Laporte's had bad form.
Here’s the situation:

Laporte has made a couple of errors in big cup games v Liverpool and Spurs. I won’t include Lyon since he was clearly fouled. These games were 2/3 years ago now.

After being injured last year he was rusty coming back and not at his best. In and out of the team with niggling injuries. Absolutely nowhere near abysmal just not as good as he had been previously. Also looked unfit and ponderous which is understandable coming back from knee injuries.

This season still had a couple of injuries but when he played with Dias they have looked brilliant. They were both tremendous v Liverpool. Then came the fuck up v Spurs where Kane and Son did him up like a kipper. It’s clear from Pep’s reaction to that error that that was something they’d worked on in training and Laporte’s brain fart cost us. I have zero problem with Pep being pissed off about that.

Pep drops him for 4 consecutive games and suddenly the revisionists label Laporte’s form as abysmal and constantly refer to mistakes made 2/3 years ago. Considering he’s made a handful of mistakes and had a handful of what you would call poor games in his entire time here this whole reaction is so out of context with reality. More from Pep than anyone else who has constantly defended poor performances from others that have kept their place regardless of form. And to top it off he’s made it into a public spat with his recent comments and he’s played Garcia in one of the games.

So from cocking up in a cup game v Spurs a couple of years ago he gets dropped for four games v Burnley and Fulham level of opponents in 20/21?

I meant trophies. Was spurs a big game for us? Like I said Laporte is a fantastic player but in that game a big why wasn’t he switched on? I just think he does need a few games out to reset his head, he will be back and at his best.

I meant trophies. Was spurs a big game for us? Like I said Laporte is a fantastic player but in that game a big why wasn’t he switched on? I just think he does need a few games out to reset his head, he will be back and at his best.
Players make mistakes, shit happens. Bollock him, drop him etc - fine. But make sure the punishment matches the crime and you treat every player the same because things like this have a habit of coming back and kicking you up the arse.

I also think people need to go back and watch that Liverpool game again. He was back to his absolute best and was better than Dias.

Players make mistakes, shit happens. Bollock him, drop him etc - fine. But make sure the punishment matches the crime and you treat every player the same because things like this have a habit of coming back and kicking you up the arse.

I also think people need to go back and watch that Liverpool game again. He was back to his absolute best and was better than Dias.

Think Pep’s a decent manager so I think I’ll go along with his choices he see things we don’t in training and he is judged every game like the players.

Us fans have opinions too, we like a moan and critic the players the manager and is why we have a good discussions on here.

Of all the players to lose form I'm most surprised with Laporte as he's seemed solid and unflappable.

Hopefully this kicks him on a gear.

Fucking hell man take your pick. Mahrez, Sterling, Silva, Rodri even KDB until this past week. If we’re talking Laporte’s recent form being abysmal because he made an error against Spurs then fuck knows how you describe what kind of form half our team have been in since September and even before that.
His form hasn't been abysmal, in my view, but nor should he consider himself a shoe-in.

Here’s the situation:

Laporte has made a couple of errors in big cup games v Liverpool and Spurs. I won’t include Lyon since he was clearly fouled. These games were 2/3 years ago now.

After being injured last year he was rusty coming back and not at his best. In and out of the team with niggling injuries. Absolutely nowhere near abysmal just not as good as he had been previously. Also looked unfit and ponderous which is understandable coming back from knee injuries.

This season still had a couple of injuries but when he played with Dias they have looked brilliant. They were both tremendous v Liverpool. Then came the fuck up v Spurs where Kane and Son did him up like a kipper. It’s clear from Pep’s reaction to that error that that was something they’d worked on in training and Laporte’s brain fart cost us. I have zero problem with Pep being pissed off about that.

Pep drops him for 4 consecutive games and suddenly the revisionists label Laporte’s form as abysmal and constantly refer to mistakes made 2/3 years ago. Considering he’s made a handful of mistakes and had a handful of what you would call poor games in his entire time here this whole reaction is so out of context with reality. More from Pep than anyone else who has constantly defended poor performances from others that have kept their place regardless of form. And to top it off he’s made it into a public spat with his recent comments and he’s played Garcia in one of the games.
Appreciate the effort you've put into your response. Thanks!

His form hasn’t been bad per se. But we know his actual ability in that he’d be the best defender in the PL alongside Van Dijk. I mean fuck, at his absolute best we would’ve even want to swap him with Van Dijk. And I think that’s what Pep is trying to coax out of him, not the version where he simply plays and not make mistakes (which arguably is our standard for John Stones), but to where he was at his absolute best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.