Back pain/sciatica

Blue Maverick

For the past 6/8 months my back has been getting steadily worse, I’ve had X-rays and been to see the “experts” diagnosed with degenerative arthritis of the spine and this is leading to really bad sciatica sometimes right leg sometimes left. I do lots of stretching now, lots of waking with my dog, however it’s the pain management I’m struggling with today I’ve had to take 800mg of ibuprofen, not ideal but needs must. Does anyone have any tips, im looking at going down the massage route but people are going on about CBD oil etc.

Been there and still am brother.
My experience is that physio does help.
Many health authorities let you self prescribe four sessions free so you could see if it works for you at no cost.
See here

I am on a stronger anti inflammatory - Naproxen. I also take paracetamol with it. It helps.
I tried CBD oil and found it utterly useless.
I do find a gentle stretching exercise routine first thing in the morning helps. You can find suggestions on the NHS website.

Please Avoid opioid painkillers like the plague.
I got addicted and coming off was a two year nightmare. It made giving up cigs feel like a cakewalk.

Do you find the pain bad at all times or particular times like in bed, sitting, standing?

Many health authorities let you self prescribe four sessions free so you could see if it works for you at no cost.
I am on a stronger anti inflammatory - Naproxen. It helps.
I do find a gentle stretching exercise routine first thing in the morning helps. You can find suggestions on the NHS website.
I got addicted and coming off was a two year nightmare. It made giving up cigs feel like a cakewalk.
Ye im averse to painkillers mainly because they make me feel sick cocodamol etc, ibuprofen seems to be my limit. Like I said the stretching helps but I’ve just done a stressful 600 mile round trip drive which has properly fucked me up last night at 3 am I was lay on the floor stretching but it didn’t help.

I know what you mean.
There are certain things I cannot do anymore, like decorating.
If I have to do any work with my arms above my head I end up on my back for a day. Gardening sees me off too. Yet driving causes me no pain. I am about to play golf in an hour. I go every week. I use a drive on buggy but tomorrow I won’t be able stand up straight and will be in a great deal of pain I persevere though and also try to do an hours gentle walk a day otherwise the temptation to end up a couch potato is too great. My old man ended up like that and went to his grave far too early as a consequence.
Sorry to hear about your predicament mate. If you want to pm for a rant now and again feel free. Sometimes it helps just to know you are not alone.

See here

I am on a stronger anti inflammatory - Naproxen. I also take paracetamol with it. It helps.

I recognise this, I had a rugby injury on my lower back 50 years ago which has caused me pain every day since. An added accident a few years ago where I ruptured tendons in my leg has made it worse, as all the surgeons could do was sew them together. This has led to arthritis in my hip as I can't use my leg very well at all. I fully agree with the advice, especially on opoids, mucky drugs as a nurse said to me. I have been going to an alternative practitioner, Free Your Body therapy, I think there are places around the country. The guy I see is an ex Marine who was invalided out, he said I can't cure arthritis but I can give some relief. It has worked for me, I go every 6 weeks, have done for over a year now. As I thought at the time it was worth a try, it has proved to be good for me. I really hope you get some comfort soon.

Can I ask how the pain started for you guys? I've been waking up with back pain but strangely I don't feel any pain during the day. It's only through the night, when I'm sleeping. I figured it was just maybe bad sleep posture but then Ive noticed I get tingles if I hold my hands in a certain position above my head...

Just to clarify, what I have is very mild and I'm only in my 30s so I'm not overly worried.

I hurt my back 20 years ago playing football, gave up immediately however been a firefighter for the last 20 years, big weight on my back, crawling round in shit etc hasn’t been conducive to a good back, lots of downtime sat around ;) always tried to maintain fitness but youth seems to drag you through and not taking little niggles too seriously leads to longer term problems.

I injured my back before Christmas, just twisted a bit funny picking up a relatively light box and then was left hobbling around for a few weeks. It seemed to go away and then 3 weeks ago I started with sharp pains in my back, through my hip and down to my knee.
Doctors say it's damage/irritation of the femoral nerve, caused by the back injury and have prescribed physio which seems to be helping, they said it could take up to 3 months to sort itself out.
It's always worst when I've been sat down for long periods or laid in bed so have bought a standing desk and try to get out for a walk first thing each morning before work. Ibuprofen seems to numb the pain pretty well.

For the past 6/8 months my back has been getting steadily worse, I’ve had X-rays and been to see the “experts” diagnosed with degenerative arthritis of the spine and this is leading to really bad sciatica sometimes right leg sometimes left. I do lots of stretching now, lots of waking with my dog, however it’s the pain management I’m struggling with today I’ve had to take 800mg of ibuprofen, not ideal but needs must. Does anyone have any tips, im looking at going down the massage route but people are going on about CBD oil etc.
Is this meant to be 'walking' or 'wanking'? Can't help yer back much if it's the latter!

At the moment I'm waiting for both hips to be replaced due to arthritis. I'm taking Tramadol for pain but it hardly makes a difference.In the past I've been on stronger opioids but stopped as they mess with the mind. The withdrawl symptoms were shocking. Deffo stay away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.