Back Surgery advice needed? Please!

Mr Ed (The Stables)

I have to go into hospital soon for the removal of one of my discs in my back, L5 S1 to be precise. I was wondering what the aftermath of this op will be, recovery success rate etc. I'd be gratefull if any members on here connected with the medical profession could give me some advice. The surgeon does his ops on a saturday morning, and I've been told it will be later this month or early May. Will that be my season over with regards to attending matches, I have a season ticket in 305? Many thanks in advance.

Had the same op about 6 years ago. The surgeon trimmed the L5 disc that had collapsed into by spinal canal pushing on my spinal chord causing unbelievable pains down my right leg.

I was off work about 4 months after my op, this was the time the surgeon recommended, I don’t know if this is normal, or just my particular circumstance, so ask your surgeon.

Immediately after to op I was immensely relieved, the leg pain had gone straight away. It was sore and and uncomfortable for a good few weeks, and it took a while to get walking properly again. I had a few session of physio that helped, but over about 2 months I was feeling much better.

One of the odd downsides for me was my first dump after the op. I had been pumped up on painkillers and anaesthetic, which turned my poo into breezeblock. My first shit felt like the bastard was coming out sideways, they finished up giving me a suppository to help, which it did in spectacular style! Maybe that was just me.

Good luck with this fella, this op improved my life tremendously, but don’t forget you will have a duff back for life now, and you will need to adjust your lifestyle accordingly. My back has never been fully the same since, but I can live with whatever discomfort it gives me, it is very very small compared to what it was like before the op. Occasionally i twang it again good style, but only because I forget I have a bad back, and it can take a few weeks to come back round again with rest and physio.

Be sensible with what you do, don’t lift heavy objects, keep up with any back exercises they give you, and keep yourself active.

And don’t stop shaggin, its good for it apparently…

Kris_Musampa said:
Had the same op about 6 years ago. The surgeon trimmed the L5 disc that had collapsed into by spinal canal pushing on my spinal chord causing unbelievable pains down my right leg.

I was off work about 4 months after my op, this was the time the surgeon recommended, I don’t know if this is normal, or just my particular circumstance, so ask your surgeon.

Immediately after to op I was immensely relieved, the leg pain had gone straight away. It was sore and and uncomfortable for a good few weeks, and it took a while to get walking properly again. I had a few session of physio that helped, but over about 2 months I was feeling much better.

One of the odd downsides for me was my first dump after the op. I had been pumped up on painkillers and anaesthetic, which turned my poo into breezeblock. My first shit felt like the bastard was coming out sideways, they finished up giving me a suppository to help, which it did in spectacular style! Maybe that was just me.

Good luck with this fella, this op improved my life tremendously, but don’t forget you will have a duff back for life now, and you will need to adjust your lifestyle accordingly. My back has never been fully the same since, but I can live with whatever discomfort it gives me, it is very very small compared to what it was like before the op. Occasionally i twang it again good style, but only because I forget I have a bad back, and it can take a few weeks to come back round again with rest and physio.

Be sensible with what you do, don’t lift heavy objects, keep up with any back exercises they give you, and keep yourself active.

And don’t stop shaggin, its good for it apparently…

Many thanks for that. The symptoms you describe regarding your back before your op is exactly a carbon copy of what I'm like at the moment. The only difference is the pain is all in my left leg. How do you go on sitting down in the confines of say a football match for 90 minutes, or driving a car for a couple of hours? I'll be absolutely gutted if the Sunderland game is my last match!

Many thanks for that. The symptoms you describe regarding your back before your op is exactly a carbon copy of what I'm like at the moment. The only difference is the pain is all in my left leg. How do you go on sitting down in the confines of say a football match for 90 minutes, or driving a car for a couple of hours? I'll be absolutely gutted if the Sunderland game is my last match!

After the op the pain relief is immediate. But like i said, it took a good four to six weeks before things got normal again, and assuming your case is similar to mine (again, check your surgeon, he will tell you) you had best forget the COMS from the point of the op until next season. It takes a while to recover and your back is in a very fragile state post op, and doing something daft could set you back a long way.

I cant stress it enough, check with your own surgeon, your problem may be different than mine, but if i were you, i would not take any risks, you've only got one back, but there is always the telly, and after that if all goes well, you will be back in 305 for Champs League footy next season...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.