Back to school.

Trevor Morley's Tache

I have just started a distance learning foundation degree in engineering.

I'm in my mid-forties, and last did any formal education over 20 years ago (BTEC HNC). I've chosen to do 2 module's at a time which is up to 25 hours a week study.

I'm trying to get my head round Level 4 engineering maths at the moment. Problem is I am currently on my 7th 12 hour night shift on the bounce (last one for a while hopefully) which means I'm more than 10 hours down this week, and my head is mashed.

Anyone else doing anything similar.

I'm same age and still have dreams I've turned up to the exam having not revised. Fuck that.

Constantly Trevor. I honestly believe my mind wanting to learn more is what stopped me turning into a total lazy pot head. I have about 4 courses i am studying now for example. One is catching up on the updates to asp.net core, another is a bit hobbyist regarding machine code. All of it would help should i have to go back into the general work population like the rest of you common scum :-D

I hope you feel good doing it, i always feel dread but then after starting it becomes a challenge. It turns into a puzzle to overcome and master. The sense of achievement when you know you got it down is immense. Especially when you get to correct a big cheese on serverfault with a better solution than theirs :-D

Did you do this feeling it was forced upon you or realized life is only a one time thing and thought "fuck it"?

Constantly Trevor. I honestly believe my mind wanting to learn more is what stopped me turning into a total lazy pot head. I have about 4 courses i am studying now for example. One is catching up on the updates to asp.net core, another is a bit hobbyist regarding machine code. All of it would help should i have to go back into the general work population like the rest of you common scum :-D

I hope you feel good doing it, i always feel dread but then after starting it becomes a challenge. It turns into a puzzle to overcome and master. The sense of achievement when you know you got it down is immense. Especially when you get to correct a big cheese on serverfault with a better solution than theirs :-D

Did you do this feeling it was forced upon you or realized life is only a one time thing and thought "fuck it"?
The opportunity came up, and I thought f*ck it; why not?

I've got a full time job, so it will be a bit of a juggling act, especially when I'll be away for about 10 weeks with work this year.

Luckily I can download a lot of the work before I go.

Nought wrong with a bit of self aware education. Kind of a shame we haven't worked out that that is the way to really learn, regular schooling is great, mainly for just learning how to deal with one's peers. To be declared as x, based on two cse's one o level , plainly stupid, people develope their whole lives

I have just started a distance learning foundation degree in engineering.

I'm in my mid-forties, and last did any formal education over 20 years ago (BTEC HNC). I've chosen to do 2 module's at a time which is up to 25 hours a week study.

I'm trying to get my head round Level 4 engineering maths at the moment. Problem is I am currently on my 7th 12 hour night shift on the bounce (last one for a while hopefully) which means I'm more than 10 hours down this week, and my head is mashed.

Anyone else doing anything similar.

Best of luck Trevor

Not at the moment, but I did an online learning course a couple of years ago. The best advice I can give you is buy a nice chair to work on.

It's not really for me though. I don't really have the self-discipline to do this kind of thing by myself. I'd rather just go to the university.

Last edited:
Not at the moment, but I did an online learning course a couple of years ago. The best advice I can give you is buy a nice chair to work on.

It's not really for me though. I don't really have the self-discipline to do this kind of thing by myself. I'd rather just go to the university.
I could definately do with a better chair, for sure.

My wife is currently studying for her MA in Fine Art at Uni.

In 4 years, she's gone from 5 GCSE's at grade C which she did 25 years ago, to passing a BA past year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.