Backed into someones car

inbetween

Had a ridiculously stupid incident today. Out and about today and I decided to stop at the shops to get a coffee. The street is a narrow street and has loads of parked cars along it, anyway I came out the shop, drove off and was turning right into another narrow street about 100 yards away. Now there was some bloke in a taxi-van coming down this road and we only saw each other a the last minute. I stopped quickly and then had to back up to let him out because there was no way I'd be able to get past him.... Next minute, crunch. I hit someones car on the side.

Luckily the damage wasn't really that bad and my car just has a bit of a scratch, theirs came off worst and it's pretty much a bit of a dent and some light paintwork damage.

I'm not one of those who could sleep at night driving off so I decided to leave a note with my phone number on and now I'm sweating over them ringing. It is definitely a girls car and was an 11 plate, made sure I took pictures of the damage and the plate.

Anyone know what kind of number I'm looking at in terms of cost if they decide to avoid going down the insurance route? The damage was limited to the driver side arch and was basically a bit of a dent around the size of an Iphone. The car was a Peugeot 107. Safe to say I'm not going to those shops again.

if you hit someone who is a c*nt the car will be brought to the dealerships for a repair and probably new paint job etc etc. if you hit a normal person it will be brought to a panel beater and will cost about 150 quid.

I had a similar incident and did exactly the same. Never got a call though. Sometimes people can't be arsed with the hassle if it's a dent they can live with.

Some tw*t in a company van hit my Mrs car and drove off when she was at work and she was parked on a narrow street

The dent/scratches was about the same size as you have mentioned but luckily a few people witnessed it and someone left a note with the vans registration number etc

She took it up with the company who owned the van and they settled privately. They paid for her to have a courtesy car as well while it was being fixed.

Pretty sure the damage (pardon the pun) to the companys bank balance was only a couple of hundred quid

Esteban de la Sexface said:
if you hit someone who is a c*nt the car will be brought to the dealerships for a repair and probably new paint job etc etc. if you hit a normal person it will be brought to a panel beater and will cost about 150 quid.

Think I'd take £150, my girlfriend had someone ding her car whilst she was in work and this was pretty similar to that. Cost the woman who did it £200. Have to hope it's not one of 'them' who think they can make a bit of dosh on it! Just glad it wasn't an Audi!

inbetween said:
Had a ridiculously stupid incident today. Out and about today and I decided to stop at the shops to get a coffee. The street is a narrow street and has loads of parked cars along it, anyway I came out the shop, drove off and was turning right into another narrow street about 100 yards away. Now there was some bloke in a taxi-van coming down this road and we only saw each other a the last minute. I stopped quickly and then had to back up to let him out because there was no way I'd be able to get past him.... Next minute, crunch. I hit someones car on the side.

Luckily the damage wasn't really that bad and my car just has a bit of a scratch, theirs came off worst and it's pretty much a bit of a dent and some light paintwork damage.

I'm not one of those who could sleep at night driving off so I decided to leave a note with my phone number on and now I'm sweating over them ringing. It is definitely a girls car and was an 11 plate, made sure I took pictures of the damage and the plate.

Anyone know what kind of number I'm looking at in terms of cost if they decide to avoid going down the insurance route? The damage was limited to the driver side arch and was basically a bit of a dent around the size of an Iphone. The car was a Peugeot 107. Safe to say I'm not going to those shops again.
If it was me you'd be fucked, I hate phone calls >:)

Ive had both these scenarios happen to me. On two separate occasions i went in to the back of someone in traffic. The first time the woman wanted £800 for a new rear bumper and the second time the guy said the damage was nothing a bit of dirt wont cover up and wasn't too bothered.

If she goes through insurance you may well end up with credit hire charges whilst her car is in for repair too, could be expensive - 3 day repair and at least 2 weeks credit hire whilst her car is sat there waiting for repairs to be authorised then the garage always say there is a delay on parts. Not unusual for a small scratch to take a month meanwhile the credit hire charges are racking up at £40 a day.

Hopefully though she wont bother!

Pretty much spot on. Someone run in the back of me a few years ago, I couldn't see any damage but I wanted to get it checked out properly before I let him get away without giving me any details. He begged me not to go through the insurance because he was a young lad and said he would pay for any damages.
I took it to a local garage and there was a slight dent in the bumper and something bent underneath. He said he could pop the dent out, straighten what was bent and give it a quick spray over. £250 for the lot.
I rang the bloke up and he went mental at me, accused me of taking the piss, called me a **** etc. So I said fuck you, I'll take it through the insurence.
I took it a couple of their approved repair centres and the cheapest quote I got was just under £1200. They approved it and sent me a cheque for said amount.
I never did bother getting the work done.

BlueBearBoots said:
If she goes through insurance you may well end up with credit hire charges whilst her car is in for repair too, could be expensive - 3 day repair and at least 2 weeks credit hire whilst her car is sat there waiting for repairs to be authorised then the garage always say there is a delay on parts. Not unusual for a small scratch to take a month meanwhile the credit hire charges are racking up at £40 a day.

Hopefully though she wont bother!

Fingers crossed!

I know I for one wouldn't just say let's forget about it because it was quite a bit of a dent that wasn't easy to ignore, it isn't obvious though until you get close. Thankfully I was only reversing at probably 2mph or it would of been a lot worse.

I drive a new shape Honda Civic and it has this stupid spoiler thing across the back which can obscure what's in the rear mirror and when your rushing to back up out of someones way like in that street well its just bound to happen.

Something like this !

96HondaCivicType-RreviewXS.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.