Bailiffs

When we moved into our house (35 years ago!), we were aware that the previous owners had done a moonlight flit and owed almost everybody. I sent any letters back saying "no longer at this address", but then came the debt collectors, bailiffs, etc.
I was at home one day, and my wife answered the door, and a man said he was a bailiff, and was going to remove goods to pay a debt. He never asked her who she was or for any ID.
I went to the door, and he repeated his message, again not asking for ID, so I said "could I see your bailiff's licence please?" He looked stunned, but produced it. I asked him which office he was from, and he said the Stockport office, so I asked him if he knew Bill ****. Again a quizzical look, but said that he did, and how did I know him. I pulled out my Inland Revenue warrant card, and said he used to come out with me weekly for about 12 months when I worked in the Collectors office!
After a long chat, where I told him what he had just done was illegal, as he had not asked for ID from my wife (who used to type distraint letters when she was in the Revenue), and so had no right of access. (Probably changed over the last 35 years) It did stop the bailiffs coming, though, as word got round not to visit and their records were updated.
A bit of knowledge, eh?

Once you have notified them in writing that no one by that name is at your address Threaten them with legal action for harassment if they contact you in any way again.
First time they are just blokes with a job to do.
Once they’ve been told but come back they become pond dwelling knuckle draggers.

You totally missed my point, the ex tenants aren’t going to update their new address are they?

I had a tenant in a house I owned and they left. Letters from creditor came though the letterbox like confetti.

The vast majority of times when these wankers move they don`t move far. If they have kids in school and relatives close by they have even more reason not to move out of the area.

If you don`t know where they have moved to or which school the kids go to I`d ask the neighbour`s. Any information I got would be passed on the the various agencies trying to contacted the debter.

Once you have notified them in writing that no one by that name is at your address Threaten them with legal action for harassment if they contact you in any way again.
First time they are just blokes with a job to do.
Once they’ve been told but come back they become pond dwelling knuckle draggers.
It isn’t as clear as that tbh, but I take your point. E.g. previous occupier has his car registered at the OP address, and has credit at that address too, maybe a catalogue or a phone bill. The bailiffs are told he doesn’t live there, they do standard “gone away” checks and it comes back to confirm the residence as there is active credit, maybe recent credit there.

It does take a bit more time to get them completely removed from an address, and it can be painstaking. Sometimes a call to the bailiff company, accompanied with a rental agreement being sent and/or alternative proof is required. You also need to make sure that you’re contacting all companies that write to the previous occupier. You can also contact the CRAs to have them note the situation which flags when doing any standard residency chexks

When I rented out property several tenants left owing money. The creditors/bailiffs got told once, by me, that it was nothing to do with me ans to sling their hook. I certainly didn’t send them any proof.
Never heard anything again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.