Bali death sentence

jollylescott said:
blueinsa said:
Smack dealers and smugglers.

Sorry but I just dont care.

Well you should care if you value living in a civilised society.

You should care if you reflect on your own life. Have you ever made a mistake as a teenager or a young adult? Did you ever do something that as a young man that you later regretted?

I know I did.

I am lucky because I live in a country that doesn't support state sanctioned murder. I am lucky because the mistakes that I made as a young man were forgiven by my society, my family and friends. I am lucky that I can now look back at those times and realise how stupid I was. But I got away with it because of my place of birth.

Some years ago when I was completing my Law degree I studied quite a few cases involving the death penalty in the United States. More often than not the person on death row was poor and African American. More often than not they were themselves victims of society, of poverty and desperation. On occasions they were innocent.

Since that time I have fundamentally opposed the death penalty. It serves no purpose. It doesn't deter crime. It on occasions kills innocent people. It doesn't recognise the possibility of rehabilitation and forgiveness.

Sometimes our civil society hangs by a thread. We are at times only a few steps away from barbarism. I guess it's part of the human condition. That's why opposition to cruel and barbaric practices like the death penalty need to be voiced and continued.

As Lincoln said it's about appealing to the better angels in all of us.

I feel sick today because of the actions of the Indonesian government. It's cruel and unnecessary. It punishes families for eternity.

By all means punish those that break the law. Keep them in jail for a long time.

But don't take their lives.

Dear god I hope your on a wind up and dont really believe all that guff, their "Mistakes" have in all probability killed people, so how about their families being punished for eternity because these c*nts wanted to make a fast buck ?.

So next time you look back on your mistakes, remember all the poor fuckers who do not have that option thanks to these money driven vermin, they did not care if people died.............I dont care now its their turn.

blueonblue said:
jollylescott said:
blueinsa said:

You should care if you reflect on your own life. Have you ever made a mistake as a teenager or a young adult? Did you ever do something that as a young man that you later regretted?

I know I did.

I am lucky because I live in a country that doesn't support state sanctioned murder. I am lucky because the mistakes that I made as a young man were forgiven by my society, my family and friends. I am lucky that I can now look back at those times and realise how stupid I was. But I got away with it because of my place of birth.

Some years ago when I was completing my Law degree I studied quite a few cases involving the death penalty in the United States. More often than not the person on death row was poor and African American. More often than not they were themselves victims of society, of poverty and desperation. On occasions they were innocent.

Since that time I have fundamentally opposed the death penalty. It serves no purpose. It doesn't deter crime. It on occasions kills innocent people. It doesn't recognise the possibility of rehabilitation and forgiveness.

Sometimes our civil society hangs by a thread. We are at times only a few steps away from barbarism. I guess it's part of the human condition. That's why opposition to cruel and barbaric practices like the death penalty need to be voiced and continued.

I feel sick today because of the actions of the Indonesian government. It's cruel and unnecessary. It punishes families for eternity.

By all means punish those that break the law. Keep them in jail for a long time.

Dear god I hope your on a wind up and dont really believe all that guff, their "Mistakes" have in all probability killed people, so how about their families being punished for eternity because these c*nts wanted to make a fast buck ?.

So next time you look back on your mistakes, remember all the poor fuckers who do not have that option thanks to these money driven vermin, they did not care if people died.............I dont care now its their turn.

Not caring about life is not the best response to not caring about life though is it! The death penalty has made them saints, it has made them famous, it has lessened their crime in everyone's eyes. This execution has done more harm to stopping drug smuggling than any of the dealers themselves.

The death penalty is not about stopping crime or protecting victims which is the rational purpose of justice- it is about society getting revenge. It is a simplistic emotional reaction to people who care more about the appearance of justice than the reality of reducing crime and it is a way of pretending you are hard on crime .

So I am not particularly sad for them they should be in prison but I am sad because this is yet another expensive show from governments who have no real intent to stop these crimes

I wish the Australian government cared about us non criminal Aussies as much as they did with these drug smugglers. When will they spend that much tax payer's money helping me?...oh wait, they're only happy taking my tax money.

In saying that, I hope it's over quickly. They've already suffered enough being locked in that hell hole.

foetus said:
I wish the Australian government cared about us non criminal Aussies as much as they did with these drug smugglers. When will they spend that much tax payer's money helping me?...oh wait, they're only happy taking my tax money.

In saying that, I hope it's over quickly. They've already suffered enough being locked in that hell hole.

I don't think they do care about them but I think they do care about politics gains they can make from supporting them and also they care about the deliberate insults from Indonesia. But let's be honest Indonesia is still very affronted by the Aussie spying so they have been looking for a chance to "insult" australia for a while! Though to be fair Bishop has generally not done a bad job on most matters.

Its not caring about life, its not caring about their lives in the same way they didn`t care about others.

Nor does the idea that its revenge by society mean its a bad thing, an eye for an eye is as fair as life gets, these critters caused what the now face, with the added bonus that they will never cause another death and the families of their victims has seen justice done.

As to not being a deterrent, anyone who is not put off by a death penalty values their own life as meaningless, I just agree with their valuation.

foetus said:

non-criminal Aussies? tis not possible.

jollylescott said:
blueinsa said:

I know I did.

They must have been very stupid people, they kept making the same mistake several times....

Austrailian children in vigil for drug smugglers...

E3JdcEj.png

Indonesia have confirmed that the executions will take place after midnight tonight (6pm BST). Final preparations are being made.

The two Australians are up first, followed by Mary Jane Veloso. Last to be shot will be an Indonesian, Zainal Abidin bin Mgs Mahmud Badarudin.

HtE8ah7.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.