Bands or artists from where you live or were born

John Lever of the Chameleons was born on my gran's street in Denton.
I knew some of Paris Angels as a teenager.

Mick Ralphs was born local and..........Edward Elgar not far away. :)

Jason Bonham was a local resident at one time, as was Jeff Lynne.

My cousin played drums for T'Pau and left the band to concentrate on the family business, only for them to later find success with a number of singles and albums.

The Gibb family emigrated to Australia in the 50s and the then young lads went to school in Redcliffe, Brisbane.
The 3 boys started singing as a group.

After emigrating from Manchester, England to Redcliffe, Queensland in the late 1950’s it only took the brothers Gibb, Barry, Maurice, and Robin, two years to land a regular gig at the Redcliffe Speedway. They would perform during intervals on the back of a truck to crowds of people who would throw money on the track. Barry was the eldest…just 14 years old. The Bee Gees signed their first music contract on the family’s kitchen table in Redcliffe and Barry has often said was ‘paradise in 1958 and it still is.’
Appearing as Spics and Specs they had a couple of minor hits locally in Australia before returning to London to try for the big time as The BeeGees.

Not entirely on topic but related.
I’ve just this minute passed Brendan Gleeson at the back of the Four Courts outside Hughes Pub.
Brendan is also a proud Northsider and accomplished musician in his own right. Plays the fiddle. From around Artane to the best of my knowledge.
Educated in St. Joseph’s and taught in Belcamp College.(now gone). Artane is bang smack between the two.

Last edited:
Robert Plant expelled from my old secondary school in Stourbridge.
Offered to do a benifit gig with led zep in the late 70's to help raise cash for the remodernising of the school (King Edward Grammar school)
Promptly told No ! By the then Headmaster !!
Clearly not a fan

Chris Martin of Coldplay was Exeter born and bred. Joss Stone lived in Collumpton, Muse were from Teignmouth, and Dave Cousins of the Strawbs lived near Honiton for a while. The only other one I can think of was Hank Marvin, who lived in a little village called Southleigh (again near Honiton) during the 1970's. According to my mum, he used to go door-knocking in the area (Jehovah's Witness). I like to think it's true and that she (my mum) told him to bugger off.....
Them two nutters who drove down to the West Country looking for Joss Stone, so they could kidnap her and chop her head off, were from Longsight. Does that count?….

My Mum went to primary school with Peter Skellern, the foc's will probably have heard of him. Im sure the youth club I went to as a teen was his old house. It's an old folks home now of course.
Ian Wallace drummer for a slew of famous bands/artists.
Guy Garvey from Elbow..very slim pickings in Bury

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.