Barry to Everton?

RandomJ said:
He's been a good servant but it's probably the right time to go. He was brilliant in our title winning year but been very hot and cold since then. I do feel he has been massively overrated on here though. The sort of player who seems to get better the more he doesn't play. Usually get the argument that if you don't rate Barry as the best player in the world then "you don't understand football". Facts are since the title winning season he has got slower and his overall play has declined and his passing more sloppy. He's well past his best so it's right he moved on.

Thank him for his service and wish him all the best at his new club.

Then we should have replaced him......Garcia certainly aint good enough and is slower than barry and doesnt read the game anywhere well as GB did........

so that leaves rodwell and milner who Id be happy to see both replace GB.....BUT is this what Pellers will play?????.....Im worried that he thinks 4 in the midfield is the answer and it isnt

Absolutely idiotic to get rid of Barry. Blue tinted specs will no doubt say its the best business of the summer.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
stony said:
Bobbymanc said:
It gets even better its being reported the city are paying 40 percent of his wages.

sniff sniff

Even if thats the case which i doubt then allegedly thats £60K per week saved, thats £3m+ in wages.

We were reluctant to let him go on loan, we wanted to sell him. With that in mind I'd suggest it's utter bullshit to say we're paying half his wages.

hi guys, genuine Toffee fan here (very much in peace!), just wondering what you guys think now Barry has left? Are you upset or pleased to see him go, do you think he will be a success at Goodsison? Also what do you think of Felliani going to United? Personally, whilst a good player for us, fee was very high and i'm not sure how well he will do overall.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
stony said:
Bobbymanc said:
It gets even better its being reported the city are paying 40 percent of his wages.

sniff sniff

Even if thats the case which i doubt then allegedly thats £60K per week saved, thats £3m+ in wages.

Everton, who are being uniquely transparent this evening (no undisclosed fees), have briefed members of the press that they agreed to pay 100% of his wages. I'd guess we waived a loan fee, so they basically have paid a £5.5million loan fee (his wages) for him.

toffee-in-peace said:
hi guys, genuine Toffee fan here (very much in peace!), just wondering what you guys think now Barry has left? Are you upset or pleased to see him go, do you think he will be a success at Goodsison? Also what do you think of Felliani going to United? Personally, whilst a good player for us, fee was very high and i'm not sure how well he will do overall.

I think you'll find City fans pretty split on Barry, who is a player with genuine strengths and weaknesses. I don't know how well he fits into Everton, but on the whole he's a very smart player with a tremendous willingness to show for the ball. If I will miss anything about him, it's how hard he works to ensure his teammates always have an outlet pass, which goes a long way toward allowing his team to maintain possession and makes his teammates really enjoy playing with him. He's generally pretty tidy with the ball and he can break up play relatively well. there are a lot of positives.

But there are also negatives. He's always been slow, but he's getting really slow. This was less of a problem in the PL, but really caused a lot of issues in the CL. Nonetheless, he really lacks for pace, which can be a problem if he's too isolated in the midfield. His passing tends to be simple, which is not a bad thing, but he's not overly likely to split the defense with a long ball.

In reality, he's just a really, really, really solid player. He's getting older and slower and probably wasn't at the level we aspire to be at anymore. I'm personally sad to see him go, as he really can tick the team over and provide a steadying influence in the midfield, but I recognize that we probably needed a bit more out of our midfielders at this point in our team's maturation. How he'll fare with Everton I can't really say, depends on the formation you guys play him in, but I could see him really excelling in a 4-5-1 with lots of midfield support.

Is there a benefit to having him go on loan vs just paying him the difference of what he'd miss out on at everton and letting him go permanently? Sorry if it's been covered but the loan in the last year of a contract never made sense to me.

teddykgb said:
toffee-in-peace said:

I think you'll find City fans pretty split on Barry, who is a player with genuine strengths and weaknesses. I don't know how well he fits into Everton, but on the whole he's a very smart player with a tremendous willingness to show for the ball. If I will miss anything about him, it's how hard he works to ensure his teammates always have an outlet pass, which goes a long way toward allowing his team to maintain possession and makes his teammates really enjoy playing with him. He's generally pretty tidy with the ball and he can break up play relatively well. there are a lot of positives.

But there are also negatives. He's always been slow, but he's getting really slow. This was less of a problem in the PL, but really caused a lot of issues in the CL. Nonetheless, he really lacks for pace, which can be a problem if he's too isolated in the midfield. His passing tends to be simple, which is not a bad thing, but he's not overly likely to split the defense with a long ball.

In reality, he's just a really, really, really solid player. He's getting older and slower and probably wasn't at the level we aspire to be at anymore. I'm personally sad to see him go, as he really can tick the team over and provide a steadying influence in the midfield, but I recognize that we probably needed a bit more out of our midfielders at this point in our team's maturation. How he'll fare with Everton I can't really say, depends on the formation you guys play him in, but I could see him really excelling in a 4-5-1 with lots of midfield support.

Thank you, for a very detailed response.

I feel, for us he will sit at the base of a 4-5-1 midfield and hopefully we can cover his lack of pace with the legs of McCarthy and Barkley. What we seem to be getting is a very solid pro with hopefully a couple of solid years left in the tank. I hope so!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.