BBC R5L tonight-chants prog Mark Radcliffe

Funny, I know a lot of supporters of different teams use different words for the same tune - Spurs have their own version of 'don't set Joe Hart', loads of teams have their own 'oh, Kevin de Bruyne' and its often very difficult to know who used it first. But I can't think of a single club other than ours whose fans use the theme music from a Charlton Heston film from the 50s.

Funny, I know a lot of supporters of different teams use different words for the same tune - Spurs have their own version of 'don't set Joe Hart', loads of teams have their own 'oh, Kevin de Bruyne' and its often very difficult to know who used it first. But I can't think of a single club other than ours whose fans use the theme music from a Charlton Heston film from the 50s.
Agreed - except it's Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis not Charlton Heston.

Best bit is that it was on telly and then used at next game. In the days of 3 channel TV I guess every away-going Blue must have watched it.

Cyberblue and all others who remember The Vikings on TV in 1976.... You've really helped my research (the power of Bluemoon!) as I'm doing a two part piece on chants for the last 2 City programmes. Quick question (may seem daft - I know it's very daft!) were you living in Granadaland then? I've searched various archives (newspapers and Radio Times) and managed to find lots of dates when the film was shown and your memory of 1976 ties up perfectly with a showing of the film on the Thursday night prior to Ipswich away (23/10/76) and Norwich (30/10/76).... the only problem being that it wasn't shown in Granadaland that night. It was on ITV in other regions, but Granada had a John Wayne film on instead.

There could have been a late film change and, as a few said that it had been shown prior to Ipswich/Norwich around 1976, I'm convinced this is what inspired it and will include that in the piece (though I'm still searching). Anyway, excellent memories and the evidence overall backs up this. I love it when we can find an actual date for something. I have also noticed that, in my own away trip memory bank, it was popular during 1983-84 (I remember someone bringing a Viking horn to the Oldham game and the Viking call going on for ages) which, again, coincides with a TV showing. Maybe each time it was on TV it reminded us and the first part (the Viking call itself) has been watered down in recent years because the film just hasn't been on TV.

For those who have no idea what the Viking call is/was or are too young to remember the film or not around when the chant/call was in its pomp during the 80s here's a few clips. This is part of the original trailer: This is a melancholic version of the call: and this is the type of horn (though much smaller) that often appeared at away games (about 19 seconds in):

***EDIT: Latest: I've now discovered it was also shown on Granada on the Wednesday night in between the Ipswich and Norwich games. All sorted and now dated. Great stuff!*********

I was in Portsmouth at the time as i was in the Royal Navy .i went to both of the games and it was crazy .hundreds of fans doing the Viking call .i remember being told the Vikings had just been on the Telly

Agreed - except it's Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis not Charlton Heston.

Best bit is that it was on telly and then used at next game. In the days of 3 channel TV I guess every away-going Blue must have watched it.

Tony Curtis, not Charlton Heston.

I knew that :)

Heston was Ben Hur. And El Cid

On the subject of the origin of tunes used for City chants, how about the chorus of Son of my Father by Chicory Tip?

Oh Man City, the only football team to come from Manchester.

On the subject of the origin of tunes used for City chants, how about the chorus of Son of my Father by Chicory Tip?

Oh Man City, the only football team to come from Manchester.

Yes, also used for wanky wanderers chant.

I think this one was used for 'we don't carry hatchets'.

Doesn't seem so appropriate now after watching that video.

Cyberblue and all others who remember The Vikings on TV in 1976.... You've really helped my research (the power of Bluemoon!) as I'm doing a two part piece on chants for the last 2 City programmes. Quick question (may seem daft - I know it's very daft!) were you living in Granadaland then? I've searched various archives (newspapers and Radio Times) and managed to find lots of dates when the film was shown and your memory of 1976 ties up perfectly with a showing of the film on the Thursday night prior to Ipswich away (23/10/76) and Norwich (30/10/76).... the only problem being that it wasn't shown in Granadaland that night. It was on ITV in other regions, but Granada had a John Wayne film on instead.

There could have been a late film change and, as a few said that it had been shown prior to Ipswich/Norwich around 1976, I'm convinced this is what inspired it and will include that in the piece (though I'm still searching). Anyway, excellent memories and the evidence overall backs up this. I love it when we can find an actual date for something. I have also noticed that, in my own away trip memory bank, it was popular during 1983-84 (I remember someone bringing a Viking horn to the Oldham game and the Viking call going on for ages) which, again, coincides with a TV showing. Maybe each time it was on TV it reminded us and the first part (the Viking call itself) has been watered down in recent years because the film just hasn't been on TV.

For those who have no idea what the Viking call is/was or are too young to remember the film or not around when the chant/call was in its pomp during the 80s here's a few clips. This is part of the original trailer: This is a melancholic version of the call: and this is the type of horn (though much smaller) that often appeared at away games (about 19 seconds in):

***EDIT: Latest: I've now discovered it was also shown on Granada on the Wednesday night in between the Ipswich and Norwich games. All sorted and now dated. Great stuff!*********

I can remember last game of the season in about 83, at home to Charlton needing a win to go up...... Huge queues outside Kippax, (47k crowd, where were we when we were shit?) still trying to get in about 3:10 and hearing one of the horns calling out that tune, followed by screams as we scored and everyone outside going mad and joining in the celebrations even though we couldnt see feck all One of the best atmospheres I can recall, and for once we weren't typical City :0)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.