Being breathalysed on the doors

crooky

Just seen this article on the BBC website about how they'll be breathalysing people on the doors of a number of pubs and clubs in Birmingham. I can understand why they would want this for the legitimate reasons of reducing drunk crimes.

But to me the whole thing stinks of nanny state nonsense and exploitation of punters who will have to pay even more than the already heady cost for a night out.

The limit for being refused also seems low to me, it's just twice the UK drink driving limit which is around 4-5 pints of bog standard lager from what I've read. I view myself as a lightweight and even I would be around or above that amount by the time I got to a club. So others who drink 1.5x to double my amount will either be refused or go in sober which from past experiences is pretty awkward.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31163062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31163062</a>

crooky said:
Just seen this article on the BBC website about how they'll be breathalysing people on the doors of a number of pubs and clubs in Birmingham. I can understand why they would want this for the legitimate reasons of reducing drunk crimes.

But to me the whole thing stinks of nanny state nonsense and exploitation of punters who will have to pay even more than the already heady cost for a night out.

The limit for being refused also seems low to me, it's just twice the UK drink driving limit which is around 4-5 pints of bog standard lager from what I've read. I view myself as a lightweight and even I would be around or above that amount by the time I got to a club. So others who drink 1.5x to double my amount will either be refused or go in sober which from past experiences is pretty awkward.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31163062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31163062</a>
Or just don't go to Brum, there's always a plus :)

Unfortunately Andy it's not the only place to adopt it. A quick google when I was creating this thread mentioned York, Torquay, Salford, London and a few more. I just hope the citizens of these towns and cities are boycotting the places that have signed up otherwise we might see it become a nationwide thing....

crooky said:
Unfortunately Andy it's not the only place to adopt it. A quick google when I was creating this thread mentioned York, Torquay, Salford, London and a few more. I just hope the citizens of these towns and cities are boycotting the places that have signed up otherwise we might see it become a nationwide thing....

Guaranteed this will be a nationwide thing in the very near future and the step after that will be it becoming something clubs legally have to put in place.

Bigga said:
I don't understand.

The mere fact that people can commit certain types of crimes when they're drunk would hopefully lessen should be a plus, but not if it impacts on your drinking time...?

Is that what this thread is about??

It doesn't make much difference by the end of the night though. Say if you're a young reveller with lots of expendable income and you don't mind paying extra to not have a few drinks before you go to a club. You get in and you feel a bit more sober than usual so instead of you're usual amount you play catchup with a few shots and generally a quicker pace of drinking.

In an hour or two you've caught up to your normal drinking state and you're as drunk as ever. I'm assuming most trouble happens around the early hours when the night is closer to the end so it makes no odds. The only people that benefit are the clubs as they sell more drinks.

crooky said:
Bigga said:
I don't understand.

The mere fact that people can commit certain types of crimes when they're drunk would hopefully lessen should be a plus, but not if it impacts on your drinking time...?

Is that what this thread is about??

It doesn't make much difference by the end of the night though. Say if you're a young reveller with lots of expendable income and you don't mind paying extra to not have a few drinks before you go to a club. You get in and you feel a bit more sober than usual so instead of you're usual amount you play catchup with a few shots and generally a quicker pace of drinking.

In an hour or two you've caught up to your normal drinking state and you're as drunk as ever. I'm assuming most trouble happens around the early hours when the night is closer to the end so it makes no odds. The only people that benefit are the clubs as they sell more drinks.

Whilst I see your point(and whilst I don't drink but have worked the Door), I have known and known of many people that prefer to have a few drinks before they hit their place of venue as they 'start their night early'. This is men and women and the proposals are to negate that.

This extra drinking, I believe, contributes to the state they get in and the consequences thereafter. Surely, if alcohol is in the body longer it has more impact than a shorter period of time? If your habit of drinking beforehand is impacted, how likely is it to play 'catch up' at the venue?? We're talking ritual and finances for the majority, not the absolute minority you use as an example.

I dunno, you tell me as the drinker with experience as I have seen what I've seen sober.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.