Bell or Silva?

IcriedwhenTueartleft

My 14 year old son steadfastly refuses to believe there has ever been a better midfield player at City than David Silva, oh the impetuosity of youth. I keep telling him that King Colin was, in my opinion, City's best ever midfield player (and you can keep your Georgian midfield maestros). So, simple question, if there was only room for one in our current team would you take a 25 year old, fully fit Colin Bell or would you stick with Silva? King Colin for me every day.

King Colin everytime! He had the lot. An incredible engine [His resting pulse rate was almost superhuman],great shot,he could dribble,tackle,shoot and head and was cool under pressure,scoring loads of goals from midfield.A true football giant in an era when they were plentiful he stood out.

Two different types of players really , playing the game in two vastly different times .....

i don't think that Colin Bell possessed the overall skill with a football that David Silva possesses .... but, in my opinion , he had great technique , and he had the edge in the goalscoring , heading , and tackling departments.

I'd say they were about even in passing ability , although Silvas concentration can be found wanting in this department at times .......... you'd probably have to give the edge to Silva on dribbling , he can turn 'on a sixpence' in extremely tight situations.

Seems a simple enough choice when it's broken down like that ..... Bell simply had that bit more to his game than Silva , and was the more 'complete player' , so he'd have to be my choice .

Just look at the 'technique' Bell displays in scoring this goal at Stamford Bridge , and the way he 'ghosts' into position ....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv3Vb2q7ldg[/youtube]

Not that simple, Silva is more of a creative genius but Bell was the all round player. The nearest I've seen to him since is Starfish Stevie.

As Bell was the more versatile, all round player it's got to be the King Of The Kippax

It's unfair to compare todays players with yesteryears players...

Silva would of struggled playing in the 60's, whereas he has had complete different training, more access to better nutritional education and fitness regimes.

Colin Bell would of been a completely different player had he had access to the more professional environment the likes of Silva enjoy today.

Can't compare the two.

Completely different types of player, Bell was more of a Yaya-type midfielder but with a better engine and all-round game. I don't think you can directly compare Bell with Silva, there wasn't really a player like Silva in that Mercer/Allison team, Neil Young was probably the closest but he was more of a striker than an attacking midfielder.

I would add if Colin Bell would have been in our present team last season and fit for the majority,we would have won the double,i am convinced of that.That is how good he was and how big an influence and matchwinner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.