Belle Vue Dogs

I worked with a guy many years ago,
He was the engineer/ maintenance guy at the dog track,
He told me he hated it when the hare came off its fittings,as he had to walk out and fix it,the guy with the white coat,
He knew the camera would be on him,
But for some stupid reason he walked like some benny hill character,cursing to himself walk fking proper,
But couldn't.

Dog racing has been in decline for a long time. Not sure how many active tracks there are now. I rarely go in a bookies now but dog races seemed to be the way people who spent the afternoon in them killed time between horse races.
There were tracks in Oldham and Bolton until at least the mid 90s although Belle Vue seemed more upmarket.
Occassionally went to Belle Vue after home games at Maine Road, walking up through Longsight and stopping for a pint en route.
An important part of Manchester's social and sporting history but like the speedway has gradually fallen out of public favour.

Dog racing has been in decline for a long time. Not sure how many active tracks there are now. I rarely go in a bookies now but dog races seemed to be the way people who spent the afternoon in them killed time between horse races.
There were tracks in Oldham and Bolton until at least the mid 90s although Belle Vue seemed more upmarket.
Occassionally went to Belle Vue after home games at Maine Road, walking up through Longsight and stopping for a pint en route.
An important part of Manchester's social and sporting history but like the speedway has gradually fallen out of public favour.

The BAGS and BEGS bookmakers afternoon and evening greyhound services are/ were just to do as you are saying, give more frequent races for people to bet on. When French, South African and US horse racing started to get regularly shown, along with the virtual stuff some people actually prefer, there was less need for the BAGS and BEGS. There are a lot of responsible dog owners, shame BV has gone, doubt I will ever bother with Owlerton and Perry Barr again, the dogs have gone to the dogs.

Used to like Westhoughton flapping track too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.