Benefits Britain 1949 (TV Program)

Mr Ed (The Stables)

What an eye opener that was.

Four years after the end of WW2 with obviously loads of ex-soldiers incapacitated due to the effects of war, we see the formation of the Welfare State in the UK.

So fast forward to 2013 and 3 people with differing circumstances agree to appear and be judged under 1949 rules:

01 A pensioner and widower aged 75 who has worked all his life and ends up having to pawn his Grand fathers watch to survive, only to find he then has to go into a residential home and I assume give up his house.

02 A young lad suffering from Spina Bifiida who has not made any NI contributions, confined to a wheel chair and consequently is told he doesn't qualify for any benefit because of that, ie no National Insurance Contibutions.

However because he's willing to undertake any work, he gets some decent brass from the 1949 system. He then goes on a work placement and ultimately gets the offer of a real job which he has never had before.

03 A middle aged woman who has worked for 20 odd years, who has paid National Insurance contributions. She has everything wrong with her, bad back, bad neck, bad shoulder, arthritis etc (although nothing visible). Although her diabetes, arthritis in her joints must be visible.

By 2013 standards she's unfit for work, by 1949 standards she's fit for light work which she refuses to do.

So sat here in 2013 with the country in an economic mess. What do we do as a compassionate society?

A hard question to answer because we are in a different age and I believe we do have a duty of care to our elders, and those that find themselves on the lowest spoke of fortunes wheel.

However the 1949 rule which states you can only draw out if you've paid in provides food for thought imo, especially with the immigration issue.

What do you think?

I thought they treated 01, the pensioner and widower, very shabbily indeed by making him live on 1949 money under 2013 conditions. He was obviously very compliant, taking everything that was thrown at him. Was the cost of fuel the 2013 cost or the equivalent of the 1949 cost (that is, about two-thirds of the weekly allowance!)? In 1949 I'm sure his neighbours would have done things for him (imagine how he must be feeling, knowing that his 2013 neighbours don't care enough about him to do anything to help him!) Also, in 1949 his son (there was mention of a son), if still alive, would most likely be living close to him. In 1949 he would probably have been growing some food himself. Etc. That he broke down in tears so often showed that he was living on the edge. I hope he continues to enjoy the company of his friends at the home; something good did come out of it for him, despite all the humiliation.

02 the young lad suffering from spina bifida, should have been able to get that job in 2013. The fact that he wasn't even getting interviews shows that there must have been discrimination against him as a disabled person as he is clearly an excellent employee, willing and able to do what he can.

03, the middle-aged woman on the sick, is a fat selfish cow who should be put down.

1949 system seemed to make more sense apart from the disabled lad not being able to get nowt. The women was just a bum though, she could easily of done the work they asked her to

yeah i watched it, thought the old bloke was a decent chap, the young disabled lad was good and wanted to get up and get some work done so fair play to him, the woman, fucking hell she was annoying, she could drive and walk but couldn't type on a typewriter, what a load of bollocks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.