Benjamin Mendy - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s too soon to judge him defensively but there’s no doubting that he’s devastating going forward.

He’s essentially Gael Clichy with Kolarov’s left foot.

It’s too soon to judge him defensively but there’s no doubting that he’s devastating going forward.

He’s essentially Gael Clichy with Kolarov’s left foot.

That’s being really unkind..... I think the bale analogy was more apt, regardless of him never playing for us. AK whipped balls in at pace and played percentages, this guys left is like a scud mission, pure intent and only 70% fit... physical prowess needs no explanation.

That’s being really unkind..... I think the bale analogy was more apt, regardless of him never playing for us. AK whipped balls in at pace and played percentages, this guys left is like a scud mission, pure intent and only 70% fit... physical prowess needs no explanation.

Apart from free kicks, he's the player Kolarov would be, in his dreams.

Yeah, the Bale analogy is not bad - I had forgotten he was a fullback early and I do remember seeing him at Spurs doing that as much as I've seen Mendy thus far. The big difference between those, for me, was that Bale was a freak of nature (Usain Bolt with a lightning left leg) but very one dimensional, a sprinter who you just didn't want to let get into space. Mendy is a different sort of freak of nature because he arguably has the whole package already - speed, strength, dribbling, aggression, confidence etc. I think everyone sort of sees/fears the clown side of his personality might mean he could be prone to mental lapses in defense but Alves had similar criticisms at Sevilla. He too was a freak, still the most fearsome FB I've ever seen play the game, in his prime - absolute monster and teams, opponents had legitimate fear facing him

It's also great that this comes a year after a typically career ending injury yet so impressively already. Which also ties into the release of the documentary which comically showed the new injured guy being such a cheerleader for the squad. Very likable player which makes how scary he is going forward a sign of bigger things to come

The positions he takes up are impossible for the full back or winger to mark and if the opposition have to double up on our full back with the rest of the attacking options in the team, well good luck. Amazin player, just hope we can find a way to play him and Sane.

Was excellent. Interesting to see how this impacts on sane. I noticed when Mendy crossed to augers for his third - Pepe said to sane that’s what you need to do. Think pep has a few issues with sane. No evidence just a gut feel - he seems harsh on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.